having children during family medicine residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancingdoctor13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I am pretty set on going into a family medicine or primary peds residency once I am done with med school. I was hoping to ask those of you already in this type of residency, compared to other residencies, how feasible it is to start having children during the 3 years of residency. I am getting a couple of years later start on medical school and don't want too long to start a family. Any suggestions/thoughts from personal experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All

I am pretty set on going into a family medicine or primary peds residency once I am done with med school. I was hoping to ask those of you already in this type of residency, compared to other residencies, how feasible it is to start having children during the 3 years of residency. I am getting a couple of years later start on medical school and don't want too long to start a family. Any suggestions/thoughts from personal experience?

many do it. everyone's situation is different. what specifically do you want to know? are you the male or female?

Members don't see this ad :)
"Dancing doctor?" Asking about kids...? Put me down for "female." ;)

hahaha

I don't know...we had a couple dancing doods in our class and they were apparently straight!

...but you're correct, my hunch was female as well.

:D

Hi All

in 2009, 5 residents in my program had babies.