Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Having one of those days...again

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by karat, Dec 2, 2005.

1. karat

karat Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Every now and then, I have a day where I just wake up feeling depressed...normally I'm somewhat optimistic that today will be a day of good news. But lately I've just become more and more pessimistic. I used to be on pins and needles all day long, but that level of stress is simply exhausting and I can't function. So I'm just depressed. I've also actually started hearing back from some schools (finally) but they've been holds and rejections, which hasn't really helped my depressed disposition. :(

I'm really looking forward to the semester ending, just so I can get away. I keep telling myself that a change in my environment will help me. I miss my old optimistic self...I can't even bring myself to care as much as I used to...I no longer have the energy.

Thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 63768

63768 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    it's really tough. i'm going through it too as are lots of people on SDN. keep your chin up.

4. DrMike24

DrMike24 eat, drink, and be merry
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey buddy, just hang in there. There are people who still havent had interviews yet, so try to be thankful for what you have. I'm sure you'll get some good news soon and then you will be all flowers and rainbows and puppy dogs and all that good stuff. Good luck :)

5. Elastase

Elastase StanfUrd bound!!!
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yes, bring back that optimism. When you do get your next interviews, you want to be enthusiastic when you go. Patience is also key...you've probably done so much work up to this point...

Also, make a back-up plan. Make sure that if something does not go the way you want, then you have something else to fall back on. For example, I applied to almost 40 schools, had multiple "back-up" schools (about 20% of the schools I applied to). I was also ready to apply to a masters program (either public health or nutrition, some you don't need to take the GRE just your MCAT is fine) if needed and osteopathic schools. The goal is to become a physician, and even if something goes wrong, you have to make sure that you continue to do well so that you can stay competative. This is definitely a stressful process, but consider that thousands are going through the same shi*t. Keep ya head up. Good luck!

*edit* You have to continue to "care", med school will also be difficult (and the rest of your life as a physician)! I kept my goals low so that I was even excited about going into a masters program. Don't worry you will get an interview soon!

6. americanangel

americanangel Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi karat,
    Hang in there! Soon the semester will be over and all of us will get a nice break!!! Just hang in there!
    Good luck :luck:

7. opmed

opmed Member
    5+ Year Member

I know exactly how you feel. I went through pretty much the same thing last year, except it lasted into July for me. The whole process can definitely make you bitter and exhausted. The only advice I can give is to remember that at the end of the road, there is a med school acceptance. Even if it doesn't come this year, all of the hoops you have to jump through and all of the lows that you experience will be worth it once you get that acceptance. I know that you might doubt if you'll ever get accepted and if all the anguish is worth it, I know that I did last year. It was an everyday thing for me to worry about getting into med school, so what I finally decided to do was to start making plans for every possible scenario. Plan out what you will do to try to get accepted at the schools at which you are on hold and, although it might be hard, try to plan what you will do to get accepted next year if it doesn't happen this year. I found that this helped a little in diverting my attention away from my lack of acceptances and the whole "waiting game."

Also, cheer up! There's still plenty of time to hear back from schools and to get interviews. I had one in January and one in February last year, so you can still find out good news.

Hope this helps.

8. gdbaby

gdbaby Prettier than before
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Karat, I was feeling this way yesterday. Then I read the Latest News story on The Onion and laughed so hard I broke the furniture. I hope it does the same for you so that you too may improve you "chiplomatic relations."

http://www.theonion.com

9. dr_keki

dr_keki Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey karat - just know that you're not the only one. I go through these emotions throughout the day. Keep on truckin ;)

10. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

i went through a period like this before i got my first interview. i was getting really cranky and moody which is incredibly unlike me. i attribute my re-normalization to SDN. i said something rash and someone smacked me back into place saying something along the lines of "mota you used to be so optimistic and helpful, this seems to really be draining on you". and it was. and ever since then my attitude has been much better. and about a week later i got my first interview. you really just need to try not thinking about it that much and let it go. as difficult as that sounds. i would recommend that you re-read your original post. and realize that you are giving these schools WAY too much power over your own emotions. at the end of the day, you're the one that has the potential to not let that happen and take control of your mood and attitude once again. i hope this helps.
    -mota

11. karat

karat Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks so much guys for all the positive feedback. I just want to make one thing clear because I don't want to unfairly get your consolation: I have had 2 interviews (and an acceptance at a state school). So I'm not having as terrible of an experience that some of you still unfortunately are. My major complaint about this entire process is that I have changed so much as a person. I constantly doubt myself and I feel so uncertain (now that I have not gotten any positive feedback in 2 months, esp given that I was complete most places in August).

Please, I'm really sorry if I have offended anyone because I know there are people that are in worse boats than me. But I think we can all agree that this is a bitch of a process and it sucks the life out of you....

12. BerkeleyMD

BerkeleyMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    We all agree this is a hell of a process, but if you happen to be from california (with an acceptance from a state school) I really can't feel too bad for you. I can assure everyone the second I get an acceptance from a Cali school I will forever draw my application from amcas and enjoy the rest of the year.

my 2 cents...
    :D

13. karat

karat Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Actually, I'm from NY.