addo

7+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2010
3,587
6
Texas
Status
I got recruiting emails several months ago, and at the time it really sounded great, and I really wanted to do it. I am having second thoughts about it now though. The process has been long and throughout i have been reading threads on here, and even the negative ones did not dissuade me, but now I have an uneasy feeling about it that sprung out of nowhere.

My file will be getting reviewed next month, and since im pretty early I think I will almost certainly get it. Should I break the news to my recruiter now, or should I wait until a decision has been made? If I wait and I get it, how much time do I have before I have to accept it or turn it down? lastly, if I do turn it down, how much of an a hole would I look like for wasting everybodys time?
Although I did always tell my recruiter to take it slower and at least wait until I was accepted to med school, but it seemed like it was a race, and he assured me the earlier I got everything in the better.
Any suggestions on how to handle the situation, assuming I dont go through with it?
 

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
10+ Year Member
May 26, 2007
8,062
3,975
Status
Attending Physician
lastly, if I do turn it down, how much of an a hole would I look like for wasting everybodys time?
This is the easiest one to answer: you wouldn't be a hole at all. Your recruiter is a salesman, it's not your responsibility to be sold. People back out of these things all the time, he knows that, and it's part of his job. Heck, a lot of the candidates that DO accept still need to turn down a scholarship in another branch, since they applied to several simultaneously. Don't get me wrong, he'll try to guilt you into signing if he can (that's also part of his job) but he knows, and you should to, that you have no reason to feel guilty about having second thoughts.

Although I did always tell my recruiter to take it slower and at least wait until I was accepted to med school, but it seemed like it was a race, and he assured me the earlier I got everything in the better.
He wasn't wrong. You want to get the scholarship before they run out, and you can always sit on the acceptance until you figure out if you're going to an expensive school/have some time to think it over. Now just don't let the recruiter pressure you into signing as soon as you get the word.

Any suggestions on how to handle the situation, assuming I dont go through with it
If you don't go through with it the advice is pretty simple: call the recruiter and say "I'm not going through with it". You have no other responsibility here.
 

AF M4

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
884
4
Status
That uneasy feeling is the result of the version of you 6 years in the future laying in bed one night and concentrating really hard on trying to prevent the current you from signing on. Absent jumping out of the Bud Light Time Machine and tackling you on signing day, this is all you get.

Perrotfish's advice is right on.
 
Nov 13, 2010
9
0
Status
Attending Physician
If you're having doubts at all DONT DO IT! The ONLY reason one should take the HPSP scholarship is if they have an undying, wouldn't want to do anything else in the world passion to serve in the armed forces. It is a financial disaster to take the scholarship. If you get forced into a GMO flight surgeon position for any length of time (and yes, it can happen despite it being "rare") those years as a flight surgeon are years you're not an attending and not earning an attending salary. There are MANY negatives to being a military doc. There aren't many negatives while in med school, but all that ends after your internship year. Taking the scholarship is unequivocally the worst decision I have ever made and I'm still regretting it 7 years later.

Don't be afraid to back out of it now. The recruiter may try to intimidate you, guilt you and god knows what else. There are NO repercussions to you backing out now. It's not illegal, immoral or unethical and don't let the recruiter tell you otherwise.

If nothing else, take the 3 year scholarship instead of the 4.
 
OP
A

addo

7+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2010
3,587
6
Texas
Status
This is the easiest one to answer: you wouldn't be a hole at all. Your recruiter is a salesman, it's not your responsibility to be sold. People back out of these things all the time, he knows that, and it's part of his job. Heck, a lot of the candidates that DO accept still need to turn down a scholarship in another branch, since they applied to several simultaneously. Don't get me wrong, he'll try to guilt you into signing if he can (that's also part of his job) but he knows, and you should to, that you have no reason to feel guilty about having second thoughts.


He wasn't wrong. You want to get the scholarship before they run out, and you can always sit on the acceptance until you figure out if you're going to an expensive school/have some time to think it over. Now just don't let the recruiter pressure you into signing as soon as you get the word.

If you don't go through with it the advice is pretty simple: call the recruiter and say "I'm not going through with it". You have no other responsibility here.
He was definitely right with getting everything in early, and I understand that. At least, like you said, I am not in a position where I was rushed to sign the papers. Thanks for the advice, it really sounds simple now.



That uneasy feeling is the result of the version of you 6 years in the future laying in bed one night and concentrating really hard on trying to prevent the current you from signing on. Absent jumping out of the Bud Light Time Machine and tackling you on signing day, this is all you get.

Perrotfish's advice is right on.
:laugh:
 
OP
A

addo

7+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2010
3,587
6
Texas
Status
If you're having doubts at all DONT DO IT!
Thats what I thought, and why I posted. I was thinking the sole fact of having second thoughts should be enough reason not to do it, and that I shouldnt worry about trying to rationalize it or weight out the pros and cons again. But then I thought I might be trusting my gut a little too much.
 

HooahDOc

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
5,783
862
Status
Attending Physician
Thats what I thought, and why I posted. I was thinking the sole fact of having second thoughts should be enough reason not to do it, and that I shouldnt worry about trying to rationalize it or weight out the pros and cons again. But then I thought I might be trusting my gut a little too much.
I don't hate the Army or my current job, but I probably wouldn't do it again. It's nice having school paid for, but with the new direct loan consolidation + IBR it isn't as much of a benefit as it used to be. I wish that every day I went to work I could just worry about being an intern and doing intern things than have to concern myself with all the crap that comes with being an intern AND all the nitpicky bullcrap of the military.
 
OP
A

addo

7+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2010
3,587
6
Texas
Status
I dont know if I should make a new thread just to thank you all for preventing me to go through with what could potentially have been a very bad decision. I feel very relieved that I got out of this thing while I still could.