Having Second Thoughts...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eb4

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am new to the SDN community and I have a question for current MD students. I have wanted to go to medical school for as long as I can remember. There have been other career options that have captured my attention for a little bit, but I always found my way back to medicine for one reason or another. I am currently a 2nd year undergraduate student studying engineering and I am at a “mid-life crisis” kind of moment. I’m not sure what I want to do anymore. I love the dedication and work ethic that doctors have as well as the problems they try and solve (problems that truly matter). I also think that medical school is my Mt. Everest; it’s something that I have aspired to climb for quite some time now and I would hate to abandon all hope at the bottom of the mountain. I am hoping that some current MD students can lend a guiding hand and tell me how their “climb” is going.

Thanks,
EB

Members don't see this ad.

Not a current MD student, but I think I am in my mid-life crisis. And if you're really in a mid life crisis you need to buy an expensive sports car. I would've, but my wife has already told the dealer not to sell to me :-(.

Before you go make life altering decisions (and climbing mt everest right now now is a bad idea until they figure out the line issues), have you any experience in the medical field? Have you done any type of clinical work/shadowing that will let you get a little taste of medicine to see if its something for you? I've known engineers who jumped ship to medicine, but it is quite a jump.

Reactions: 1 users
I volunteer at the hospital on campus as well as shadow there. I have volunteered 100 hours and shadowed for 50, with more of both scheduled for this semester. I really like what I’ve seen so far, but there seems to be a lot of things that I need to adjust to. I’m sure the doctors eventually get over the things that they see in the hospital and they become second to them. I just hope that I fall into that category as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I volunteer at the hospital on campus as well as shadow there. I have volunteered 100 hours and shadowed for 50, with more of both scheduled for this semester. I really like what I’ve seen so far, but there seems to be a lot of things that I need to adjust to. I’m sure the doctors eventually get over the things that they see in the hospital and they become second to them. I just hope that I fall into that category as well.

What type of things in the hospital do doctors see that they need to get over? Sorry, I'm not quite getting which part of the "climb," you are asking about. There's academics, social, economics, etc that a medical student will face and need to overcome. If you can be more specific we can help you by telling you how we adjusted to them or mounted 'em.

What type of things in the hospital do doctors see that they need to get over? Sorry, I'm not quite getting which part of the "climb," you are asking about. There's academics, social, economics, etc that a medical student will face and need to overcome. If you can be more specific we can help you by telling you how we adjusted to them or mounted 'em.
Three words: Electronic Medical Record.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
In a year, I will need to start studying for the MCAT (if I continue down this path). I have not started my climb yet, but I am hoping to learn more about it (the process of becoming a physician). I have read several books on becoming a doctor. A lot of these books mentioned seeing trauma for the first time and how they (the medical student/doctors) adjusted. A lot of these books mention dealing with death and how they adjusted as well. Most of these books also mentioned how tough medical school was. I have heard what works in college doesn’t necessarily work in medical school. Study habits, reading material and schedules all change from college to medical school and I want to learn more from what current medical students and doctors have learned over the years.

Three words: Electronic Medical Record.
What was medical school like for you? I am very interested in the field, but I know there’s a lot of adjusting that I need to do. I would appreciate any advice that you’re willing to give!

Last edited by a moderator:
What was medical school like for you? I am very interested in the field, but I know there’s a lot of adjusting that I need to do. I would appreciate any advice that you’re willing to give!
My experience is so far removed from the current experience of medical students (even at my own school!) that it would be of historical interest only.

• Haha
Hello everybody,

I am new to the SDN community and I have a question for current MD students. I have wanted to go to medical school for as long as I can remember. There have been other career options that have captured my attention for a little bit, but I always found my way back to medicine for one reason or another. I am currently a 2nd year undergraduate student studying engineering and I am at a “mid-life crisis” kind of moment. I’m not sure what I want to do anymore. I love the dedication and work ethic that doctors have as well as the problems they try and solve (problems that truly matter). I also think that medical school is my Mt. Everest; it’s something that I have aspired to climb for quite some time now and I would hate to abandon all hope at the bottom of the mountain. I am hoping that some current MD students can lend a guiding hand and tell me how their “climb” is going.

Thanks,
EB
It’s 10/10 not worth setting your 20’s on fire with jet fuel and a blowtorch to go to medical school to prove something to yourself or anyone else.

Tbh Medical school is like getting locked in a cage with a monkey for four years that just keeps beating you with a stick comprised of required lectures, curriculum innovations and standardized testing until they let you free 4 years later.

And yet somehow it’s not that bad. During M1/2 I mountain biked/climbed 4-5x/week. For probably 2 hours a day, travelled at least once a month to ride, made some great friends and had the opportunity to do nothing but learn how the human body works which is pretty cool. As long as you’re not a gunner and have some hobbies you can have a good time.

Now on rotations having a chance to see it all come together while doing H/P’s and discussing plans with my attendings. And when this is all over and I can live a well-funded life with a good work life balance it’ll all be worth it - you just absolutely have to go in eyes open that it’s a huge sacrifice

during my medical school orientation, the dean described medical school as being blasted by a fire-hose of information.

very few people enjoy medical school. most hate it, and a large portion would not do it again if possible. with that said, every medical school is different. however, unless you are a superstar, multiple nature publications etc you probably wont have the luxury of picking whatever medical school you like. most of us choose the best from their acceptances.

for me, first 2 years was indeed a blast of information. it's non stop memorizing, nothing intellectually challenging (in a problem set kind of way) outside of having to memorize massive amounts of information. What you had to do for bio in college? Do that in 2 weeks in med school. You'll memorize way more information than you ever need to know and you have to do to pass. And you are doing this while paying the school 60k a year. Your reward at the end of the 2 years is ability to sit for the Step 1 exam.

The next two years are mixed. Some ppl like it, some dont. Really depends, and there are too many variables. If you are with a good attending, it can be fun. If not, can be torture. Same with hospitals. If they are sending you t o a hospital 1-2 hrs away, could be torture for you . Then study some more at home after work. Still paying that 60k per year. Of course at the end of this, you are rewarded with Shelf exams, and Step 2 exams and ability to apply for residency. Also know that your grades for these 2 years are often very subjective and mainly based on evaluations.. so better learn to be a attending pleaser.

honestly, if you are having second thoughts now, i say do something else. you are studying engineering, which is a great field. we had engineers decide to go to med school after working a few years as engineer and then quit and go back to engineering. it's easy to see the data. burnout rate is sky high and some people are calling it an epidemic. depressing and anxiety rates are high as well. there's a reason for this.

Reactions: 1 users
Current M2 here.

I’ve loved my experience, but I went into it knowing exactly what to expect, and have faced few surprises. Make an *informed* decision.

I’ve seen it said here in the best way: Only choose medicine if nothing else will make you happy. If you’re only looking for a challenge... there are tons of challenges. If you’re looking for $$$, there are way better options.

If you love patients/helping people/the day to day work of medicine, go for it. For me, I had to work a long time as a nurse before I decided medicine was for me. At age 20, there’s no way I could have made that call or made a decision for the right reasons, and I was smart enough to recognize that.

You’re in a fantastic place in that you’re getting a great undergraduate degree to fall back on; take your time, do it right, and make sure you do what will make you happy. YOLO, after all.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everybody,

Thanks,
EB
If you haven't volunteered with patients, do so.

during my medical school orientation, the dean described medical school as being blasted by a fire-hose of information.

very few people enjoy medical school. most hate it, and a large portion would not do it again if possible. with that said, every medical school is different. however, unless you are a superstar, multiple nature publications etc you probably wont have the luxury of picking whatever medical school you like. most of us choose the best from their acceptances.

for me, first 2 years was indeed a blast of information. it's non stop memorizing, nothing intellectually challenging (in a problem set kind of way) outside of having to memorize massive amounts of information. What you had to do for bio in college? Do that in 2 weeks in med school. You'll memorize way more information than you ever need to know and you have to do to pass. And you are doing this while paying the school 60k a year. Your reward at the end of the 2 years is ability to sit for the Step 1 exam.

The next two years are mixed. Some ppl like it, some dont. Really depends, and there are too many variables. If you are with a good attending, it can be fun. If not, can be torture. Same with hospitals. If they are sending you t o a hospital 1-2 hrs away, could be torture for you . Then study some more at home after work. Still paying that 60k per year. Of course at the end of this, you are rewarded with Shelf exams, and Step 2 exams and ability to apply for residency. Also know that your grades for these 2 years are often very subjective and mainly based on evaluations.. so better learn to be a attending pleaser.

honestly, if you are having second thoughts now, i say do something else. you are studying engineering, which is a great field. we had engineers decide to go to med school after working a few years as engineer and then quit and go back to engineering. it's easy to see the data. burnout rate is sky high and some people are calling it an epidemic. depressing and anxiety rates are high as well. there's a reason for this.
Thank you for your awesome response :) it was very detailed.

Current M2 here.

I’ve loved my experience, but I went into it knowing exactly what to expect, and have faced few surprises. Make an *informed* decision.

I’ve seen it said here in the best way: Only choose medicine if nothing else will make you happy. If you’re only looking for a challenge... there are tons of challenges. If you’re looking for $$$, there are way better options.

If you love patients/helping people/the day to day work of medicine, go for it. For me, I had to work a long time as a nurse before I decided medicine was for me. At age 20, there’s no way I could have made that call or made a decision for the right reasons, and I was smart enough to recognize that.

You’re in a fantastic place in that you’re getting a great undergraduate degree to fall back on; take your time, do it right, and make sure you do what will make you happy. YOLO, after all.
Thank you for your response! I think that I have a LOT to learn in life and I’m trying to figure things out now, but I know that I’m not expected to know how I want to spend the rest of my life yet. Medicine is very fascinating and it is surely a great career. I have a long list of reasons that I want to study medicine, I just really hope that I will find my “calling” in life soon!!

Reactions: 1 user
It’s 10/10 not worth setting your 20’s on fire with jet fuel and a blowtorch to go to medical school to prove something to yourself or anyone else.

Tbh Medical school is like getting locked in a cage with a monkey for four years that just keeps beating you with a stick comprised of required lectures, curriculum innovations and standardized testing until they let you free 4 years later.

And yet somehow it’s not that bad. During M1/2 I mountain biked/climbed 4-5x/week. For probably 2 hours a day, travelled at least once a month to ride, made some great friends and had the opportunity to do nothing but learn how the human body works which is pretty cool. As long as you’re not a gunner and have some hobbies you can have a good time.

Now on rotations having a chance to see it all come together while doing H/P’s and discussing plans with my attendings. And when this is all over and I can live a well-funded life with a good work life balance it’ll all be worth it - you just absolutely have to go in eyes open that it’s a huge sacrifice
Thank you for your response! I’m glad to hear that you are able to be successful in medical school while still being able to have hobbies :) would you do it all over again?

Current M2 here.

This is a great response. It really needs a lot of exposure to know what medicine is like to even know if you'll like it or not.