having second thoughts :-/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a bad typist and should have proofread my posts before hitting the submit button, but that does not make me a troll.
I will admit that my impression of others professions my not be accurate because I am an outsider and do not have first hand experience in those other professions. My comets were made in the context of why I like my job. I respect the comments of those he have first hand experience in the other professions.
I can assure you that I am practicing physician and not a pre med or teenager. I was only trying to give my opinion based on my first hand experience to help the OP. I hope that my comments will be helpful to the OP and others in a similar position. I honestly love my job and have a lot of time for family life. This is based on first had experience. I will admit that my situation may not be typical, but I want to let the OP know that at least some doctors are happy in the profession.

Dude, the more you type, the worse your case. First, you use the phrase "first hand" way too much in this post. Second, although you comment that you ought to proofread, you made numerous typos yet again. Third, it's usually the trolls who find the need to change the font from the default to something different, as you consistently do. Finally, whether or not you are a troll you are still going to say "I'm not a troll" so it doesn't pay to protest. You don't come off as who you purport to be, and typing poorly in pre-allo about professions you clearly don't know anything about "first hand" or otherwise doesn't help your case. The concern here is that when someone holds themselves out as an attending, they create a level of authority and can seriously mislead people. I hope I am wrong about you, but your posting doesn't impress. We will be watching.

Members don't see this ad.

OP: I am going through the same feelings/thoughts that you are going through right now and I start Medschool in June 1st :scared:. Although I am a guy but I see the long road and I do get frustrated.
I am going medschool anyway since I know I will regret it for the rest of my life if I dont go to medical school especially with an acceptance letter in my hand. These feelings are more of me being nervous (also from sadness seeing friends switching to other fields) but I know it will pass once I get started.

I recommend you do some soul searching, if you have time, look at other career in healthcare, from RN, PA, PT (there are alot of other rewarding fields in Healthcare that will allow you to have a family life also). If MD is right for you I suggest some more shadowing. A Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon I shadowed just recently had a baby and she is in her mid-30s. While her work schedule is hectic, she still find times to start her family. So it is not unusual for female doctor to take time off to start a family.

My dad's also an MD and when I told him about my intense "second thoughts," he said that now (application season) is about the worst time to quit because it is stressful for *everyone* and it's really the darkest, most abysmal period.

I second L2D's comments, and want to add this:

Your dad is not hearing what you are saying. You are having second thoughts about the commitment to medicine. Your dad's advice of gutting it out through app season would only apply to someone who is feeling uncertain about their qualifications, or if their ECs are up to snuff, or if their MCAT is high enough...those kinds of common frets, the "am I good enough" stuff.

Either you are not telling your dad your true concerns, or he isn't a good listener. Because you better be sure that if you go through the app cycle and get in somewhere, he is going to be on your back about attending - there will be no turning back on it in his mind. You want to see pressure from papa, just wait...

Listen to L2D here. You really should take some time to figure out if entering this long dark tunnel is what you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a bad typist and should have proofread my posts before hitting the submit button, but that does not make me a troll.
It gets better and better.

Go to the following post this douche made, the one where I pointed out his ridiculous misspelling of caribbean as "carrabin" - well, he corrected it at 11:00 am today, but just read the post and see what else he left screwed up...located here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9685901&postcount=18

Here is the latest from him: I would consider a new medical school a better option that going to an Caribbean school. Risk should be quite low. A motivated student should be able to get a good education at any US school.

Dude, the jig is up. Thou art a troll deluxe.

Now hurry up and go re-edit that post again...hurry along now.

Last edited:
in the midst of this troll or no troll debate, I think I kind of have a plan. (I'm the OP btw :p)

My second choice was doing grad school (for bio, chem, whatev). But I am as certain about wanting to pursue research as I am about pursuing medicine, for different reasons though.

Anyway. I will *not* apply to med schools this summer. I'll spend the next few months:
- seriously considering grad school as my choice
- looking at some other med field options as a possibility (pharm, PA, PT, etc)
- shadowing docs in the meanwhile and see how I feel/what they can tell me about some concerns I have (even besides things I just mentioned in my original post).

If I decide then that grad school is for me, I will apply this fall/winter for matriculation in '11 (as planned).

- Oh yeah... and take the GRE :(

If I decide I hate hate hate the grad school idea AND decide medicine is for me, I will apply to med school next summer for matriculation in '12 (1 year behind... 3 years off sounds like a lot... but I guess in the grand scheme of things, it'd be like finishing off residency at the age of 33 versus 34, which seems insignificant).

If neither... well then. I hope I find something else.

in the midst of this troll or no troll debate, I think I kind of have a plan. (I'm the OP btw :p)

My second choice was doing grad school (for bio, chem, whatev). But I am as certain about wanting to pursue research as I am about pursuing medicine, for different reasons though.

Anyway. I will *not* apply to med schools this summer. I'll spend the next few months:
- seriously considering grad school as my choice
- looking at some other med field options as a possibility (pharm, PA, PT, etc)
- shadowing docs in the meanwhile and see how I feel/what they can tell me about some concerns I have (even besides things I just mentioned in my original post).

If I decide then that grad school is for me, I will apply this fall/winter for matriculation in '11 (as planned).

- Oh yeah... and take the GRE :(

If I decide I hate hate hate the grad school idea AND decide medicine is for me, I will apply to med school next summer for matriculation in '12 (1 year behind... 3 years off sounds like a lot... but I guess in the grand scheme of things, it'd be like finishing off residency at the age of 33 versus 34, which seems insignificant).

If neither... well then. I hope I find something else.

There is another path.

Consider getting out of the "school" game for a while. You have been going to school nonstop since what, age 4 or 5? Take a break. Get a volunteer gig in the inner city. Do Teach for America. Get a job.

I've been out of school for 12 months now. I already miss school... and I already committed to my current job till summer of 2011.

There is another path.

Consider getting out of the "school" game for a while. You have been going to school nonstop since what, age 4 or 5? Take a break. Get a volunteer gig in the inner city. Do Teach for America. Get a job.

Yeah, I disagree. Take a year off to consider your options, sure, but long term indecision just postpones the crappy part of your career (whatever career you choose) and means that you will be even older before you get to start enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Wow, law2doc is really freeking me out!!!! If this is how you feel before a family, how about w/ a large family. After a bunch of degrees, different jobs, being married and delivering 4 kids, I finally feel ready to apply to med school. I have done my 20's and am now in my mid 30's, I have tried many different ways in which to feel "complete" and happy with my life. The more I tried to erase the medical "thing" out of my life the more I wanted it! Now with my large family I am going ahead with my dream, I feel they are my sanity, my support, my balance...I do hope I can continue to enjoy them. I know I will have to sacrifice a lot, and miss many hours of their lives, but I also know I would have to do the same at another job that I'de most likelly not be happy doing. I actually spent some time with a great friend of mine (an Ob-Gyn) shaddowing, and yes it is though and his kids hated all the days they missed him, but they also tell me how proud they are of their father, and how much his medical journey affected them in such a positive way in life and school and now teir own families. I'm not going in blinded, and am really scared on whats to come, but also know the end of this long tunnel is worth all the time and hard work. A happy mom=happy family! Oh by the way he has 2 partners in his practice(women with kids) that work p/t; which by the way almost amounts to a normal f/t of about 35 hrs. They are both extremelly happy with this arrangement as you can imagine.

BTW Law2doc do you mind sharing what kind of residency program are you doing? and do you have family/kids; just wondering on how different people handle differnt things. Spoke to a bunch of OB-Gyn residents, some w/ kids and they seem to be making it work as well as their programs, and although very tired, are also very happy.

It gets better and better.

Go to the following post this douche made, the one where I pointed out his ridiculous misspelling of caribbean as "carrabin" - well, he corrected it at 11:00 am today, but just read the post and see what else he left screwed up...located here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9685901&postcount=18

Here is the latest from him: I would consider a new medical school a better option that going to an Caribbean school. Risk should be quite low. A motivated student should be able to get a good education at any US school.

Dude, the jig is up. Thou art a troll deluxe.

Now hurry up and go re-edit that post again...hurry along now.

Well, you were right. He edited it.

In his defense English might not be his first language, which could explain the poor grammar/spelling. On second thought, he would have already said that if it were the case.

Well, you were right. He edited it.

In his defense English might not be his first language, which could explain the poor grammar/spelling. On second thought, he would have already said that if it were the case.

either somebody wrote his med school apps for him, he doesnt understand what the red squiggles underneath text means, or hes a troll taking a break from getting betrayed by his teammates on WOW

either somebody wrote his med school apps for him, he doesnt understand what the red squiggles underneath text means, or hes a troll taking a break from getting betrayed by his teammates on WOW

haha WoW can be fun :p

That's besides the point, though.

While I get that not everyone can spell a lot correctly and whatnot, the grammar and spelling issues he has quite rival anything I've seen for someone who got through pre-med and medical school and beyond. And while I try not to judge someone based on those skills, it definitely shows - in some ways - a person's character, IMO.

haha WoW can be fun :p

That's besides the point, though.

While I get that not everyone can spell a lot correctly and whatnot, the grammar and spelling issues he has quite rival anything I've seen for someone who got through pre-med and medical school and beyond. And while I try not to judge someone based on those skills, it definitely shows - in some ways - a person's character, IMO.

maybe he's only got 6 fingers and hasn't mastered the keyboard
maybe he's got a stephen hawking thing were it types by measuring his subtle eye movements
maybe he's a 55 year old from rural montana and never had to use a computer until a little while ago
maybe he's using google translate exclusively
or maybe, just maybe, he lives under a bridge

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWS8Mg-JWSg&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

I'm having a very similar dilemma at the same moment OP, and I think I may make the same choice you did (to hold off and not apply this cycle, but to wait, get some experience, see if there's something else I'd rather do). Thanks to Law2Doc and flip26, among others, for some of the helpful posts in this thread.

maybe he's only got 6 fingers and hasn't mastered the keyboard
maybe he's got a stephen hawking thing were it types by measuring his subtle eye movements
maybe he's a 55 year old from rural montana and never had to use a computer until a little while ago

It would be hard to imagine him being a practicing radiologist if any of these things were true. I think we got him pegged correctly. But good thoughts.

It would be hard to imagine him being a practicing radiologist if any of these things were true. I think we got him pegged correctly. But good thoughts.

He is dispensing his wisdom now in the radiology residency forum to unsuspecting med students seeking information about different radiology paths...one pearl of wisdom: consider cardiology instead since they are stealing all the procedures from rads...on that thread over there, an unsuspecting rads resident is puzzled by one of his assertions...he will get figured out, sooner or later...

It seems to me that SDN should monitor the claims of posters who say they are attendings or adcoms, require an added layer of authentification, or SDN should abolish the use of that status without some sort of verification of credentials...this is hardly the first time for this sort of thing, and it is the most damaging kind of troll, the kind of troll they should strive to eliminate, as opposed to the merely annoying trolls they routinely ban.

Last edited:
I'm having a very similar dilemma at the same moment OP, and I think I may make the same choice you did (to hold off and not apply this cycle, but to wait, get some experience, see if there's something else I'd rather do).

Ahh glad to hear I'm not the only one. I was driving myself crazy. January till late April = worrying about the taking the MCAT/MCAT score. Ever since I got my score, THIS!

I will admit that my impression of other professions may not be accurate because I am an outsider and do not have first hand experience in those other professions. My commets were made in the context of why I like my job. I respect the comments of those who have first hand experience in the other professions.
I can assure you that I am practicing physician and not a pre med or teenager. I was only trying to give my opinion based on my first hand experience to help the OP. I hope that my comments will be helpful to the OP and others in a similar position. I honestly love my job and have a lot of time for family life. This is based on first hand experience. I will admit that my situation may not be typical, but I want to let the OP know that at least some doctors are happy in the profession.

You missed a typo...

Tee hee!

It's really weird how the spelling is so bad, yet the grammar is alright. :confused:

Hah, thread revival after a few months!

Still don't know what I'm doing. Craaaaaap.