Having some issues...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tonguetalker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I'm having some issues this semester...

Right now I'm a sophomore but freshman year I finished with a solid 3.65gpa and I was involved in many ec's including research. Currently, Im the president of a premed club and I organize the blood drive for the university but there has been a lot of other stuff going on.

I'm actually kinda embarrassed by it but I have been through a lot this semester. Chronologically, I was sexually assaulted and later discovered that I had caught something (it's been treated) and then my mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer right after she lost her section 8 so now she really has no place to go and finally my cat that I had had since I was 3 passed away from kidney disease so I am going through major depression. As a result, I'm really not able to focus on school and right now my grades really arent looking so hot this semester.

I'm probably going to get a D or C in my physics class and most likely a B in orgo.

Im not really sure what to do at this point because I feel like I'm about to lose my mind... It just seems like I have been dealt a very rough hand because I've had to deal with a lot of things before this too...

Right now I'm definitely not focused, Im wondering could I take my physics pass fail and maybe retake another physics class some other semester. Next semester I'm hoping that things will be better and winter break will give me time to destress and focus on what I need to do.
Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Right now I'm a sophomore but freshman year I finished with a solid 3.65gpa and I was involved in many ec's including research. Currently, Im the president of a premed club and I organize the blood drive for the university but there has been a lot of other stuff going on.

I'm actually kinda embarrassed by it but I have been through a lot this semester. Chronologically, I was sexually assaulted and later discovered that I had caught something (it's been treated) and then my mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer right after she lost her section 8 so now she really has no place to go and finally my cat that I had had since I was 3 passed away from kidney disease so I am going through major depression. As a result, I'm really not able to focus on school and right now my grades really arent looking so hot this semester.

I'm probably going to get a D or C in my physics class and most likely a B in orgo.

Im not really sure what to do at this point because I feel like I'm about to lose my mind... It just seems like I have been dealt a very rough hand because I've had to deal with a lot of things before this too...

Right now I'm definitely not focused, Im wondering could I take my physics pass fail and maybe retake another physics class some other semester. Next semester I'm hoping that things will be better and winter break will give me time to destress and focus on what I need to do.
Any advice?

Earning a C in Physics and a B in Orgo will not kill your chances of getting into med school. IMHO, simply passing those courses after all the $h*t you've endured is commendable.

Cut your losses, obtain some counseling if you believe it will help you (these services are usually free to students at most Universities), and definitely “destress” during Winter Break by freeing your mind from school and hitting the treadmill.

Next semester you’ll have an opportunity to demonstrate to adcoms how you can bounce back with resolve :)

Any advice?

I'm sorry about what happened to you. Get professional help, deal with ur issues head on, otherwise they can keep creeping back up and affecting u.

If u risk failing, withdraw, u can always retake if need be.

Stay strong, again get help and best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Im sorry to hear that. I know you still have a chance. Withdraw from the classes and deal with your issues. Explain in your essays what you had to overcome and the admissions will understand. I had major problems during undergrad; but I dealt with them and they made me a better person. Now I got accepted and you will as well. Take care!

Sorry to hear about your problems. I would really recommend withdrawing so that you can get everything together without having your gpa plummet.