Having some major confusion about the "Year in School" portion of AMCAS Coursework

MeddyMedicine

Jan 15, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
My school is on the quarter system and converting the AMCAS guidelines for semester hours to quarter hours I got:

FR 0 - 52.5 units
SO 54 - 97.5 units
JR 99 - 142.5 units
SR 144+ units

I entered into my Quarter System university in my first year with 52 AP units, and taking 12 units that quarter made me a sophomore in my first quarter there.
If I base my academic status only on units, then I will skip my Freshman year and go SO - JR - SR.
My second option would be to list my 1st year as Freshman year, then my second year as my Junior year, and 3/4 as senior year.
So it looks like either way I will have to skip a year and I was wondering which way would be more appropriate.

M&L

Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
  1. Medical Student
My school is on the quarter system and converting the AMCAS guidelines for semester hours to quarter hours I got:

FR 0 - 52.5 units
SO 54 - 97.5 units
JR 99 - 142.5 units
SR 144+ units

I entered into my Quarter System university in my first year with 52 AP units, and taking 12 units that quarter made me a sophomore in my first quarter there.
If I base my academic status only on units, then I will skip my Freshman year and go SO - JR - SR.
My second option would be to list my 1st year as Freshman year, then my second year as my Junior year, and 3/4 as senior year.
So it looks like either way I will have to skip a year and I was wondering which way would be more appropriate.
the thing is that THEY will be the ones checking it. I have a very complex case with military credits, and quarter system as well, and I literally called them, and they talked me through it. Just be very nice over the phone, beg if you have to, and they can be really nice. Doing it exactly the way they want it done will save you a lot of time.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student

FR 0 - 52.5 units
SO 54 - 97.5 units
JR 99 - 142.5 units
SR 144+ units

From the AMCAS applicant guide

If you have a significant number of AP or college-level coursework credits before entering college, you may list your entire first college year as FR status. In doing so, you will most likely exceed the 0 through 35 credit hour guideline for freshman year, but your AMCAS GPAs will reflect your “true” first year in college; in these cases, AMCAS will not change your academic status. However, if you would rather base your academic statuses on credit hours only, your application will be accepted and verified as such

Courses for a bachelor’s degree earned in three years should be assigned statuses of FR, SO, and SR.

Therefore you can do this in any of several ways
1) Use your AP only as freshman and start your actual 12 quarters as SO
2) Use all you AP and units as freshman then move on to SO then JR

As for what is appropriate, either listing 3 or 4 years is perfectly fine. I would suggest FR SO SR as that is the reality of the context you were in

A) you can include all your AP and

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.