1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Having trouble completing verbal section!

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by MedicineForLife 777, Jul 31, 2006.

1. MedicineForLife 777

MedicineForLife 777 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    From your experiences, is it better to go through the verbal section slower and have higher accuracy OR speed through to finish and have less accuracy? :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" question. If you're having problems finishing, you're very likely spending way too much time going back to the passage.

4. aa4

aa4 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would try reading the passages with the mind frame of not being able to go back to them. pretend like you can read it, and it will be taken away. this may help you be more alert when reading, and therefore you won't have to go back as much

5. tik-tik-clock

tik-tik-clock CraziiiDesiiKuriii
    7+ Year Member

So then basically you are also trying to memorize the concepts or the ideas presented in the passage?

If you look at the first passage in the 4r, I really dont know how anyone can deal with even understanding that crap..Are passages usually like the first passage on the 4r on the real MCAT?

6. Rocket3004

Rocket3004 Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I tend to do really good (or really bad) on the passages that I feel I don't need to go back and look at them at all, and can confidently answer the questions.

BUT, a friend of mine, who is scoring almost excatly the same as I (more or less) says he does best when he can refer to it and pick out his answers.

We both finish at about the same time (I am just a tad quicker).

If it helps at all, I was doing decent, scoring 7's consistently, then one day, doing nothing (conciously) different, I got a 9 or a 10, and have been there (btw 9-11) since. Mind you though, these are on EK (average difficutly) Princeton (more convoluted and difficult, on average, IMO) and Kaplan (which I think are easier, on average) tests, so take that for what it's worth.

Good luck! Hopefully you will "understand" verbal... it will just come to you, like it did for me.

7. xylem29

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    what? the first passage was about human rights and how it is universal etc...I've noticed several trends with verbal - there is always a politics/economics passage, there is always one or two science passages (one of which is science, the other is more theoretical/philosophy), there is always one about art (i think), and for sure there is ALWAYS one passage that deals with ancient history that uses A LOT of foreign names and that is very hard to read and follow, due to the weird names - but i find that despite all this, even when it seems confusing, if you get the gist of it, sometimes the questions are a lot easier than the passage itself. follow the EK method ppl - it's starting to work for me too, and I started off with 7's. :thumbup: Thanks goes to ADeadLois by the way for the good verbal advice.

8. aa4

aa4 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would try reading the passages with the mind frame of not being able to go back to them. pretend like you can read it, and it will be taken away. this may help you be more alert when reading, and therefore you won't have to go back as much

sorry for the duplicate...

9. AWhitehair

AWhitehair EM PA-C. MD wannabe
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    yes, this is what I try to do. A very very good strategy. :thumbup:

10. MedicineForLife 777

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thanks for the tips guys! I tried not going back to the passage, and it seems to be helping! :D

Keep those tips comin!

11. Moses MD

Moses MD I got a staff
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Don't worry about speed reading through the passages, because ultimately if won't increase your time by more than a few minutes. Instead, take your time with the passages, understand them, read thoroughly. You should be able to thoroughly read a passage in about 3-4 minutes. Time roughly 11 passages means you lose about 33-44 minutes. Leaving plenty of time for questions.

12. jmurphy2005

jmurphy2005 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

for weird names, just cross them out and call them x and y or bob and sally or whatever. when I taught verbal sat I made all my students do it, and it cuts down on the confusion considerably. i like putting in celebrity names. there's nothing like thinking of beyonce and her ancient greek philosophies...

13. MedicineForLife 777

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    hahaha...that's pretty funny. If I start cracking up for no reason during the MCAT doing this, that would totally suck. :laugh: