MedicineForLife 777

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
From your experiences, is it better to go through the verbal section slower and have higher accuracy OR speed through to finish and have less accuracy? :confused:

ADeadLois

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Status
Medical Student
AlisaGirlX said:
From your experiences, is it better to go through the verbal section slower and have higher accuracy OR speed through to finish and have less accuracy? :confused:
That's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" question. If you're having problems finishing, you're very likely spending way too much time going back to the passage.

aa4

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I would try reading the passages with the mind frame of not being able to go back to them. pretend like you can read it, and it will be taken away. this may help you be more alert when reading, and therefore you won't have to go back as much

About the Ads

tik-tik-clock

CraziiiDesiiKuriii
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2004
Status
aa4 said:
I would try reading the passages with the mind frame of not being able to go back to them. pretend like you can read it, and it will be taken away. this may help you be more alert when reading, and therefore you won't have to go back as much

So then basically you are also trying to memorize the concepts or the ideas presented in the passage?

If you look at the first passage in the 4r, I really dont know how anyone can deal with even understanding that crap..Are passages usually like the first passage on the 4r on the real MCAT?

Rocket3004

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I tend to do really good (or really bad) on the passages that I feel I don't need to go back and look at them at all, and can confidently answer the questions.

BUT, a friend of mine, who is scoring almost excatly the same as I (more or less) says he does best when he can refer to it and pick out his answers.

We both finish at about the same time (I am just a tad quicker).

If it helps at all, I was doing decent, scoring 7's consistently, then one day, doing nothing (conciously) different, I got a 9 or a 10, and have been there (btw 9-11) since. Mind you though, these are on EK (average difficutly) Princeton (more convoluted and difficult, on average, IMO) and Kaplan (which I think are easier, on average) tests, so take that for what it's worth.

Good luck! Hopefully you will "understand" verbal... it will just come to you, like it did for me.

xylem29

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2005
Status
Dental Student
tik-tik-clock said:
So then basically you are also trying to memorize the concepts or the ideas presented in the passage?

If you look at the first passage in the 4r, I really dont know how anyone can deal with even understanding that crap..Are passages usually like the first passage on the 4r on the real MCAT?
what? the first passage was about human rights and how it is universal etc...I've noticed several trends with verbal - there is always a politics/economics passage, there is always one or two science passages (one of which is science, the other is more theoretical/philosophy), there is always one about art (i think), and for sure there is ALWAYS one passage that deals with ancient history that uses A LOT of foreign names and that is very hard to read and follow, due to the weird names - but i find that despite all this, even when it seems confusing, if you get the gist of it, sometimes the questions are a lot easier than the passage itself. follow the EK method ppl - it's starting to work for me too, and I started off with 7's. :thumbup: Thanks goes to ADeadLois by the way for the good verbal advice.

aa4

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical

sorry for the duplicate...

AWhitehair

EM PA-C. MD wannabe
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Tampa, FL
Status
Non-Student
aa4 said:

sorry for the duplicate...
yes, this is what I try to do. A very very good strategy. :thumbup:

OP
MedicineForLife 777

MedicineForLife 777

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Thanks for the tips guys! I tried not going back to the passage, and it seems to be helping! :D

Keep those tips comin!

Moses MD

I got a staff
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
AlisaGirlX said:
Thanks for the tips guys! I tried not going back to the passage, and it seems to be helping! :D

Keep those tips comin!
Don't worry about speed reading through the passages, because ultimately if won't increase your time by more than a few minutes. Instead, take your time with the passages, understand them, read thoroughly. You should be able to thoroughly read a passage in about 3-4 minutes. Time roughly 11 passages means you lose about 33-44 minutes. Leaving plenty of time for questions.

jmurphy2005

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2005
Tampa, FL
Status
Medical Student
xylem29 said:
what? the first passage was about human rights and how it is universal etc...I've noticed several trends with verbal - there is always a politics/economics passage, there is always one or two science passages (one of which is science, the other is more theoretical/philosophy), there is always one about art (i think), and for sure there is ALWAYS one passage that deals with ancient history that uses A LOT of foreign names and that is very hard to read and follow, due to the weird names - but i find that despite all this, even when it seems confusing, if you get the gist of it, sometimes the questions are a lot easier than the passage itself. follow the EK method ppl - it's starting to work for me too, and I started off with 7's. :thumbup: Thanks goes to ADeadLois by the way for the good verbal advice.

for weird names, just cross them out and call them x and y or bob and sally or whatever. when I taught verbal sat I made all my students do it, and it cuts down on the confusion considerably. i like putting in celebrity names. there's nothing like thinking of beyonce and her ancient greek philosophies...

OP
MedicineForLife 777

MedicineForLife 777

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
jmurphy2005 said:
for weird names, just cross them out and call them x and y or bob and sally or whatever. when I taught verbal sat I made all my students do it, and it cuts down on the confusion considerably. i like putting in celebrity names. there's nothing like thinking of beyonce and her ancient greek philosophies...
hahaha...that's pretty funny. If I start cracking up for no reason during the MCAT doing this, that would totally suck. :laugh:

About the Ads