Having trouble with General Chemistry. Any suggestions? (DAT in 10 days)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beachgirl19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I seem to be having trouble with general chemistry. I have watched chad's videos twice, completed all 5 dat bootcamp exams, and gone through destroyer 3X. I just seem to still be having trouble with the conceptual questions. Any suggestions out there? My DAT is in 10 days-_-

Members don't see this ad.

I think just Chad's and destroyer should be fine. Chad teaches you the concepts very well and you can test your knowledge with destroyer.
If you need clarification on certain topics, use google.

Reactions: 1 user
Same. Mine is time issue and sometimes they leave equations unbalanced and I forget to balance them to calculate stuff that need coefficients

Members don't see this ad :)
I am having the same problem, probably more terms.

Oh yeah I have trouble with that too. Last week I ran through Chad's video again for key things I may have missed. I set up a Destroyer 2010 DIVIDE and CONQUER for the conceptual questions. In addition, I've sorted all the bootcamp questions and solution on post it and sorted them to the relating topic. It has helped me recognize questions to recall concepts and terms.

This may be of help too (http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/)

Attachments

• 20150812_203129.jpg
    20150812_203129.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 87
Oh yeah I have trouble with that too. Last week I ran through Chad's video again for key things I may have missed. I set up a Destroyer 2010 DIVIDE and CONQUER for the conceptual questions. In addition, I've sorted all the bootcamp questions and solution on post it and sorted them to the relating topic. It has helped me recognize questions to recall concepts and terms.

This may be of help too (http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/)
THANK YOU! Hopefully this helps.

I was super nervous too. Last night I had to take zzzquil to sleep before my test today. It's nerve racking, but you're practicing hard. You went through Destroyer 3 times lol, I barely even got through it once. Keep your head up, you'll do great!!!!

I was super nervous too. Last night I had to take zzzquil to sleep before my test today. It's nerve racking, but you're practicing hard. You went through Destroyer 3 times lol, I barely even got through it once. Keep your head up, you'll do great!!!!
Thanks I appreciate the support!

Don't stress too much. I just took the DAT today. Gen chem was the weakest subject for me too. I was getting 16/17/18/17 on the boot camp tests and I was running out of time and guessed a lot. But the real DAT I got 20, it was much easier. Most questions were about gasses.

Memorize all your poly atomic ions and their charges.

memories or get really good at periodic trends.

Be able to convert everything to moles, even if u don't know what their talking about lol

Important equations that u need to know inside out:

C1V1=C2V2

D=mass/volume

PV=nRT

P(MW)=DRT

M=moles/L

P1V1=P2V2

Hope that helps

Reactions: 2 users
Don't stress too much. I just took the DAT today. Gen chem was the weakest subject for me too. I was getting 16/17/18/17 on the boot camp tests and I was running out of time and guessed a lot. But the real DAT I got 20, it was much easier. Most questions were about gasses.

Memorize all your poly atomic ions and their charges.

memories or get really good at periodic trends.

Be able to convert everything to moles, even if u don't know what their talking about lol

Important equations that u need to know inside out:

C1V1=C2V2

D=mass/volume

PV=nRT

P(MW)=DRT

M=moles/L

P1V1=P2V2

Hope that helps
Thanks for the help man! For the C1V1=C2V2 are we always supposed to multiply M by n?

@Hrizvi1 Thanks for the tips! Can you also tell us what to know for OC?

For O chem, they really really stress on benzene reactions. Know the difference between protic and aprotic solvents. Know the oxidizing agents and reducing agents.

O chem was one of my strengths so I didn't focus on it as much as gen chem. But DAT destroyer is the best thing ever

Thanks for the help man! For the C1V1=C2V2 are we always supposed to multiply M by n?

I don't know what you mean by that lol. Use "n" as in normality only for strong acid strong base reactions. Others wise, keep C1V1=C2V2 in molarity "M"

I don't know what you mean by that lol. Use "n" as in normality only for strong acid strong base reactions. Others wise, keep C1V1=C2V2 in molarity "M"
haha sorry wasn't really thinking when i wrote that but you answered my question. Thanks!