Havn't heard back from schools?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xdopx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I still have not heard back from quite a few schools (Columbia, NYU, Temple, Tufts, Mount Sinai, UVA), and I am on hold for many others. My primary application was sent out the first day, and I sent out my secondary application within 2 weeks of receiving them. I have not heard anything and it's frustrating thinking that all this waiting will just amount to a quick rejection. Does anyone know why it's taking so long to get a reply or have any advice? Also, is anyone else experiencing this too?

Members don't see this ad.

i havent been through the app process yet but
"send in letters of intent" seems to be a typical answer for your situation.

good luck

It's probably silent rejections maybe.

Members don't see this ad :)
a lot of those will probably result in rejections in the spring. NYU, for example, has stopped doing interviews, so you'll get official notification in March.

Some places just forget about you for no apparent reason.

so true. $100+ for a secondary and they can't even be bothered to send you a piece of metered mail.

check out this years NYU thread if you want to see some angry people.

I haven't heard back from Columbia either.

the idea of a not rejecting pre-interview as soon as you run out of interview spots/are done with interviewing is the one thing in the admissions process that i don't see the reasoning behind at aaaalll.

I haven't heard from NYU or Mt. Sinai (or MCW or Jefferson... UPenn sent an e-mail saying that they've completed interviews and will no longer be offering them). Mt. Sinai sends a nice letter mid-March telling you that you've been rejected. I'm sure NYU will send theirs at about the same time.

Yes this is common.

Yes it's unreasonable and frankly rude.

However I gladly pay the cost to join the select few. Doesnt make it right though.

Sorry, hang in. Do you have other options? Have you thought about reapplying for next year if not?

the idea of a not rejecting pre-interview as soon as you run out of interview spots/are done with interviewing is the one thing in the admissions process that i don't see the reasoning behind at aaaalll.

It's just rude. How much time would it take to send a postcard that says "Thanks, but no!"

so true. $100+ for a secondary and they can't even be bothered to send you a piece of metered mail.

every school will eventually send you an official rejection...unfortunately they'll send it when they want and not necessarily when you want but once you submit your app the ball is in their court.

Sending out rejections to thousands of people takes time, and most people would rather the admissions department spend this time figuring out interview invites, acceptances, and notifications in a timely basis rather than rejecting people, never mind the fact that you probably already know you got rejected if you didn't get an interview after the last possible date. It's not like you'll like a med school more if you find out about rejections earlier (i.e. Pritzker, Mayo, BU)

I have yet to hear from several schools as well. I'm just assuming silent rejection and concentrating on my remaining interviews. I'm really looking forward to being done so I can finally decide where I'm going to be next year.

Hey everyone, I still have not heard back from quite a few schools (Columbia, NYU, Temple, Tufts, Mount Sinai, UVA), and I am on hold for many others. My primary application was sent out the first day, and I sent out my secondary application within 2 weeks of receiving them. I have not heard anything and it's frustrating thinking that all this waiting will just amount to a quick rejection. Does anyone know why it's taking so long to get a reply or have any advice? Also, is anyone else experiencing this too?

Look for a letter from NYU within next couple of weeks. During my interview they said they will send out all final decisions by March 2nd. As far as I know, they are done interviewing for the cycle.

I'm pretty sure Columbia is done too, the last interview dates are in the next week or so. They're not rolling, and decisions are made the first week of March.

To be honest, I'd be fine with a simple generic auto-generated e-mail, because that's all you get in snail mail anyways....and it would put a cap on the hope.

How hard is it to copy and paste a rejection letter? -_-

The last email I received from Mount Sinai was 8/9/09. HAHAHAHA.