Hawaii Job Astro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baws

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
starting salary at 280K ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ya but its Hawaii! If you like perfect weather and beautiful beaches with warm water nothing else in the US comes close. If I didn't have the student loan debt I could easily live in Hawaii on $280K a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, the median salaries reported are the median for a reason, some are going to be below that. In my experience, the places that offer below median are bigger, coastal cities because the supply/demand equation says they can, so I honestly wasn't too surprised when I saw the 280k starting. Plus, its partnership track, so there may be a sweat equity component that we wouldn't know about at this point.

Reactions: 2 users
Is Hawaii really that desirable for new grads? To me, working there sounds like a corny fantasy. I can’t imagine partnership being all that lucrative either. I’m sure private practices in Hawaii have the same issues the ones on the continent have. I love the sun and warm weather as much as the next person but not enough to start a career there. Hard pass.

Reactions: 1 user
Is Hawaii really that desirable for new grads? To me, working there sounds like a corny fantasy. I can’t imagine partnership being all that lucrative either. I’m sure private practices in Hawaii have the same issues the ones on the continent have. I love the sun and warm weather as much as the next person but not enough to start a career there. Hard pass.
Agree, too isolated for my liking, plus damned expensive for raising a family

Top 10 Things You Didn't Know About Hawaii - TIME

But in this current job market, it may be preferable to some over rural MN or WI

I have a couple of thoughts:

1. In high demand, coastal metro areas you burn on both ends. The CoL is higher and compensation is lower. If you like living there then this may not be a deal breaker. However, people who go there merely for the "location" are prone to burnout and dissatisfaction.

2. One of my friends grew up in Hawaii and currently works there. He struggles when screening candidates because so many are looking for all-day surfing and an endless beach paradise. See above. Also, "Island fever" is a real phenomenon like "cabin fever." Believe it or not, people can get very anxious if day after day is 75-85 degrees with clear blue skies.

Reactions: 1 users