Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Hawaii Resident, 3.74 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, 513 MCAT

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Goldentide, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Goldentide

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi guys,

I just found out my MCAT score today and I was wondering how my school list looks so far and how I can beef it up.

My MCAT subscores are balanced (none are lower than 127) and I'm looking to submit secondaries by the end of next week. My primary app is already verified.

Taking a gap year (working in healthcare IT). I went to a Midwest public university and did over a year of research, close to 190 hours of clinical volunteering, 85 hours of community service, and about 40 hours of shadowing an internist, dermatologist, and physician assistant (pretty interested in internal med). I am a blog contributor for a national organization's website. I am also a regional coordinator for the same organization (unpaid). I have a few other extracurricular activities I did in college (nothing that would stand out though).

3 of my LoRs (1 sci, 1 PI, 1 humanities) should be very strong. My last LoR will be decent.

My list:
    The Ohio State University (reach)
    UW Madison (reach - living in Madison right now)
    JABSOM (state school)
    Medical College of Wisconsin
    Creighton
    Drexel
    Cal Northridge

Just want to thank you guys for your help in advance. I know most of you are probably busy with school or secondaries or whatnot.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor
    Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    CSUN does not have a medical school.
    You look good for Burns, Creighton, Drexel and MCW.
    Add Loyola and another good handful of OOS privates like Jefferson, Temple and Tulane.

4. Goldentide

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thank you gyngyn! How does adding Tufts and Boston U to the list sound?

5. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Tufts yes Boston U the MCAT is a bit low(32-33 vs 35 median for Boston U) but might be worth a shot.

I don't know a whole lot about admission for Hawaii but your odds statistically will be BY FAR the highest there(I believe something like 75% of Hawaii resident applicants are offered an interview at Burns).

Ditch Northstate(do a search) and Ohio State(OOS having an MCAT score a couple points below their median is not a good proposition).

Invest in MSAR and get some more lower tier OOS privates like gyngyn stated if you want to leave the state of Hawaii for medical school.

If you want reaches instead of Ohio State here are some better options that might be worth consideration: USC, Einstein, Emory, Rochester, Hofstra.

gyngyn likes this.
  6. Goldentide

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thank you for your advice Grapes. I'll probably add most of those schools to my list later today or tomorrow.

7. Goldentide

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just bought the MSAR. There's a lot of state schools I would be interested in applying to, but I have no idea of where I can look up their OOS interview/accepted stats. I was hoping some of you (especially @gyngyn , @GrapesofRath , @Goro) could take a look at the "OOS, but unsure" section.

Updated List:

Reach schools:
    - The Ohio State University (went to undergrad here, heard they interview many OOS)
    - University of Wisconsin - Madison (dream school, living in Madison now)
    - University of Rochester
    - Tufts? (might be somewhat of a reach)

Others:
    - JABSOM (state school)
    - Med College of Wisconsin
    - Rush
    - Drexel
    - Temple
    - Creighton
    - George W
    - VCU
    - Wake Forest

OOS, but unsure:
    - UNC Chapel Hill
    - Indiana University
    - Penn State
    - Brown (I seem to be a little above the 50th percentile stats wise)
    - Cincinnati
    - Louisville
    - U of Miami
    - Minnesota

Thanks in advance!

8. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor
    Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Most of Brown's OOS matriculants are "special programs."
    I would also delete Minnesota (unless you are native Hawaiian) and UNC (stats). GW gets 15K aps.
    Right now I count about 9 schools where you have a fair to good chance at an interview. That's not bad.
    How about Loyola and SLU?

Goro likes this.
  9. Goldentide

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi gyngyn, thank you once again for your help. I was thinking about adding them both to my list, but I just wanted to see what opinions people had about the state schools I wasn't sure about. I've always like schools that were a little bigger (loved my time at Ohio State).

10. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Out of the Unsure Group
    I don't think your stats are high enough for a UNC OOS applicant
    Ditto for Indiana
    Penn State is a good addition
    I don't think you'll be competitive for Brown.
    Cincinnati is stretching things perhaps being OOS but if there is something you like about them in particular it might be justfiable to keep it on the list
    Louisville OOS isn't worth it
    Miami is fine
    Minnesota only takes 20% OOS. I don't think your stats are high enough for that.

If you want more realistic schools consider these

Rosalind
    Saint Louis
    Albany
    NYMC
    Hofstra
    Jefferson
    Tulane
    Eastern Virginia
    Va Tech
    Vermont
    WVU

Your odds honestly might be better at a school like USC Boston U or Emory than public schools like Wisconsin or Ohio State. Something to think about.

Note if you want to save money here are probably the lowest yield schools out of any of the lower tiers listed by you or that I added

Rosalind: 12k apps, about 30% of the class is IS.
    Temple and Drexel: 14k apps and give 30-35% of their interviews in state
    Rush: Near 10k apps and takes half the class from in state
    GW: Gets as many apps as any school in the country
    Va Tech: Really small class size
    WVU: Take half their class IS and have specific things they look for in OOS applicants I'm not sure you necessairly would have.

11. Goldentide

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi Grapes,

I was planning on applying to about 15 schools this cycle. I think I'll add St Louis and Penn State to the list and maybe Boston. I factored in location and cities I would like to live in when I was making my list (Hawaii, Midwest, parts of the East Coast).

Thank you for your honest feedback. I think it really helped reduce my list.

12. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I'd bump up the non-clinical volunteering.
    I suggest:

JABSOM (state school)
    Medical College of Wisconsin
    Creighton
    The Philly triplets
    Rush
    Keck
    Wake
    Creighton
    Rochester
    Oakland-B
    Western MI
    SLU
    Loyola
    Tulane
    Albany
    NYMC
    U VM
    U Miami
    Emory
    Hofstra
    BU
    Netter

13. Goldentide

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi Goro,

Just saw your reply. Thank you for your thoughtful input. I'll be adding New York Med, Vermont, and Miami to the list (trying to keep my list to 15).

For non-clinical volunteering, I considered only the hours I have done with my service fraternity. I think I may have a little more than that through other organizations (I was the Volunteer Chair of another org and coordinated and participated in many events that year).

I think my total might be between 100-110 hours. Does that look much better in the eyes of adcoms? I was thinking about doing some community service during the weekends as I get more settled into Madison.

#12 Goldentide, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015