Hawaii?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentinterest

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't see anything posted about HI. I have family there and wouldn't mind attending if it's possible.

Anybody know anything about UH med program?

What about doing residency there, is it possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Criteria for getting a secondary is some kind of special commitment or relationship to hawaii. Family there might count if they are immediate relatives. Its worth a shot as you won't get a secondary if they don't consider your ties strong enough and you're only out $30 for AMCAS

Members don't see this ad :)
The word you are looking for is "Howlie" (sp?)

What you are saying is a stereotype. Hawaiian people, like any other people, come in all different shapes/sizes/colors/original nationalities/beliefs. We happen to have some very good friends of the family in Hawaii (they are native Hawaiians) who do not have this attitude, but there are plenty of Hawaiian people who do.

Hawaii is still our favorite/default vacation location. I would love to go to Med. School there, but it is pretty much impossible to get in if your are OOS. Also, in case you don't know, it is EXTREMELY expensive to live there (gas was $3/gallon back when it was like $1/gallon on the mainland)

a friend of mine applied here last cycle, no connection to hawaii, just wanted to interview for a vacation, he got the interview and was ultimately accepted, and even granted in state tuition if he would choose them, he ended up not deciding to attend, i was really surprised by the interview, acceptance, and tuition offer as i have heard all the rumors you all speak of and yet he has absolutely no connection to the state in the slightest, he's a good applicant but nothing stellar, so theres always a chance

Wow! I kinda thought it was that way. Maybe if my scores are good, I'll give it a shot. I guess it's like a $30 lottery ticket.

As a resident of Hawaii this thread is pretty interesting. I won't deny the use of the word "haole." In context when preceeded by obscenities, I would liken it to calling somebody an a--hole. However, even if occassionaly used, it is nowhere near to being racism and I don't know how you can accuse adcoms of being racist. I think you will be sorely mistaken to think that your chances of acceptance are futile due to a panel of racist adcoms. And if you are wondering why so many asians are accepted, just look at the demographics of the hawaii undergraduate campus.

Yes, Hawaii is laid back, but don't wear a polo shirt or tacky aloha shirt to your interview. Long sleeve shirt and slacks at least. I actually wore a suit to mine. And I don't see why your standards for behavior should be treated any differently from an interview done on the continental U.S.

Bottom line is JABSOM (accronym for hawaii's medical school) is an awesome place especially for primary care. Granted it is difficult to get in OOS, but people do get in. It's not all that easy for IS applicants to get in either (only 52 slots). I think what they are really looking for are people who will contribute back to Hawaii. Not those who are there for only four years and never set foot in Hawaii again. If you have real reaons other than weather and surf that attract you to JABSOM, then applying may turn out to be worth your while.

Yah, I lived in hawaii most of my life, and its pretty chill. Definitely not a racist state. Haole is not a derrogatory word, it just means foreigner, and the white man became associated with the word Haole because they were the first foreigners and took over the islands.

I honestly think Hawaii is the least racist state that in the United States. It is definitely one of the most diverse. a lot of difference races of whites and asians, not too many black people, and no latino people.

Funny that residency is mentioned. I actually was met by a UH manoa resident at Kaiser Permanente today in Hawaii. so yah, there's definitely residency.

The only thing I don't like about Hawaii so much is that its very small. Island fever man, it can get to you.

cbennett said:
I cant think of any other reasons other than those off the top of my head other than maybe like both of us have already said which is that it is realy laid back compared to other ms. I dont think to many mainlanders if any will be applying other than to get a 4 year vacation or possible a lifetime vacation. Also wa not bashing the demographs because i am well aware that not too many whites make up hawaii in comparison. I was not at all refering to this, what i was refering to is the general attitude by people to mainly whites but also other races that have moved to the island. Also i heard that the adcom have some "united nations" type panel made up of one member of a ****load of races and that they ANONYMOUSLY cast votes on who should be accepted and i have heard that this process is often quite biased.

actually what you said earlier does have a bit of truth. There are some hawaii residents who feel negatively about people moving to Hawaii. Some of them are concerned with keeping the beauty of the islands, and to do that they feel they need to restrict the amount of people who move into the islands somewhat. However, I don't actually know anybody who strongly feels this way,because it would be very hypocritical, since many of them moved here themselves. Its not racist because they don't discriminate which races they'll allow on the islands or not. But this is no way the general feeling of the people who live here, i believe a very small minority feel this way.

Ah, SDN, sweet font of bad information...

OP- UH is hard for mainlanders to get in to, but not impossible. Last year, 1,112 non-HI residents applied, 114 were interviewed and 9 matriculated. What's interesting about those numbers is that they interview a LOT of people for very few slots. JABSOM really does want the right mainlander for those slots.

If you are only interested in four years of fun in the sun, you'll be weeded out. Many mainland applicants have some ties or others to the state. If they don't think you'll want to practice medicine there, they won't take you.

Do not judge Hawaii based on impressions of people who have not lived there. You can not get a good take on the islands from visiting, no matter how many times.

Hawaii is not islands full of racists, but it's not oasis of racial harmony either. Aloha is still there, but not as much as it used to be. It will take you years, if ever, to feel a true part of the community there, just because so many come for a few years then leave.

Lovely place, good people, good med school. Takes some getting used to to live there.