HBCU Medical Schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by charleb32, Dec 4, 2001.

1. charleb32

charleb32 Member
    7+ Year Member

Has anyone applied? I would like to see acceptances, rejections and waitlists. Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Tone2002

Tone2002 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I applied to Howard, got the secondary, and I'm just waiting. Took the August MCAT.

OH, Morehouse hasn't downloaded my application from AMCAS yet. So I don't know what the deal is with them. Its past DEC, so I dunno.

4. community

community Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I applied to Howard and interviewed the first week in October. My application wasn't complete until last week though, so I think that it will be a while before I have a final decision from them. I am trying to be as patient as possible. I also applied to Morehouse and Meharry. I haven't heard anything from Meharry, but Morehouse has me "on hold" for an interview.

5. kandygyrl

kandygyrl FM's Bailey
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi,

I have also applied to Morehouse, Meharry, and Howard. I recently received an invitation to Meharry. But I have nada from Morehouse or Howard.

Do you know how to check whether Morehouse has even started my application review? What about Howard, how do they notify you of interview?

Thanks,
    Kandygyrl

6. kobe8

kobe8 Member
    7+ Year Member

I just got an interview invitation to Howard. However, I have not heard anything from Morehouse (no secondary yet) and Meharry (file complete, no interview).

7. community

community Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I heard from Howard via mail. Morehouse emailed me to say the app was complete and I would hear from them in 2 weeks, but then sent me a letter 4 weeks later to say that I was on hold for an interview. I haven't heard anything at all from Meharry.

8. charleb32

charleb32 Member
    7+ Year Member

I applied to Morehouse, Meharry, Charles Drew, and Howard, I have completed secondaries for all of them.
    Morehouse: Interviewed and placed on the alternative list (my friend from the same school as me has already been accepted)
    Haven't heard anything else from the other 3, I also took the August MCAT

Just as another question, is it like undergrad, if you look the same on paper (same school,gender,stats, race) that they will accept only one of us

9. Tone2002

Tone2002 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Charles, I see you are from GA, so that bodes well when you applied to Morehouse. In state students have a better chance.

10. charleb32

charleb32 Member
    7+ Year Member

Actually, I'm a girl so it's not Charles.
    and I'm not really an in-state student I just go to school in Atlanta. In Georgia you have to live in the state for 365 days without attending school to be considered an in-state student. My main worry is that Morehouse only offers 42 spots, and I know of atleast one that is taken.

11. Tone2002

Tone2002 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

12. Reeni

Reeni Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I've applied to Howard and Meharry, I had an interview at Meharry last week and I just got the secondary from Howard so now I'm just in the waiting process

13. Chances

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Can anyone tell me what their stats were when they applied to the HBCU medical schools mentioned on here?
    I would like to apply to Howard, Morehouse and Meharry, but I know that I still have to work on my GPA.

14. macduke09

Pre-Medical
    these posts are over 8 years old so I would check in the urm forum to ask this...

15. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels
    Moderator Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Or MDApplicants.com!

16. CatchingUp

Pre-Medical
    Anyone know where I can find info on pass rates for Step 1 and 2 for Howard, Morehouse, or Meharry?

17. TheFamilyDoc

TheFamilyDoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Whats the average MCAT and GPA for Howard, Morehouse and Meharry? And would being a graduate of their undergrad help any?

#16 TheFamilyDoc, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  18. PinkIvy08

PinkIvy08 Lady Boss
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't know their stats, but being an alum of either helps tremendously

19. TheFamilyDoc

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I thought so. I cant wait until me season comes around.

20. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels
    Moderator Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Howard - 3.4 and 24.6O

(from 2007)

21. 304598

304598 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have a MSAR here from 2008-2009

Morehouse
    MCAT V9 PS8 BS9 WO = 26 O
    CGPA 3.46
    SGPA 3.31

Meharry
    MCAT V8 PS7 BS8 WO = 23 O
    CGPA 3.46
    SGPA 3.31

Howard
    MCAT V8 PS8 BS9 WO = 25 O
    CGPA 3.38
    SGPA 3.24

Hope that helps.

22. Bearie

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I got into Howard. Not an alum, but there were at least 2 HU students who interviewed with me.

Meharry has a median MCAT of 23? Does anyone know the Step 1 pass rates (first attempt and overall) for these schools? What percent of the entering classes graduate?

23. TheFamilyDoc

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank You, hopefully my Kaplan MCAT course should do the trick.

24. 304598

304598 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I can't say for the other schools, but I interviewed at Meharry and they make damn sure you graduate. They even have a 5 year program for those who are having trouble.

I think their Step 1 used to be in the 80% pass rate but in the last ten years they are up in the 90%. Also I think in the recent years the highest score came from a Meharry student. Also Micheal Jackson's cardiologist (the one who is in trouble) is an alumni of Meharry. Just some random facts.

Honestly when I interviewed there, the medical students seems really eloquent and articulate. Very smart people who went to some great undergraduate schools. I think their averages are lower because they take a lot of the "underdog students" who had a lot of tough life experiences.

I'm no expert but it seems that with the schools dedicated to taking on students from underserved communities, they are really looking for the right fit. Which is why a lot of people with much better stats don't get an interview. They aren't "safety" schools at all. They are only looking for a certain candidate with a certain background.

25. Bearie

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hmmm... head of Admissions at Howard said pretty much same thing--that it'd not fair to compare to other schools because they take people with far different circumstances. If I remember correctly, the Step 1 pass rate is up to the 90s now (I think overall). But, I also asked students specifically and remember hearing that a pretty high number dropped out during/after first year.

If HBCUs can take students with 20s on their MCAT and have the vast majority go on to be successful physicians dedicated to serve underserved communities, then I think a lot of our assumptions about medical education in the US have to be changed. I went to an Ivy undergrad and saw many pre-meds drop med school plans before they even applied. I think they would have been great doctors.

26. FutureDoctor07

Pre-Medical
    Hey everyone i wanted to apply to the three schools mentioned in this forum...Im starting to become discouraged....I have a 3.0 and i plan to take the MCATs in April 2012 and again in August 2012. I plan to take Organic 1 &2 in the summer of 2012 because i graduate in may so i have no time before graduation to take it.....I want to be in Medical school by August 2013 do you guys think its possible!!???:confused::confused::confused:

27. aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A) Only take the MCAT once (when you're ready). It's not a good sign if you're already planning to retake it.

B) Don't sit for the MCAT if you haven't taken orgo yet, you will get killed on the biological sciences section

C) Here's how prior African-American applicants have fared in the past with a 3.0 GPA.
    http://i52.tinypic.com/35bw9jc.jpg

28. Sephiroth

Sephiroth One-winged Angel
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    holy crap, if you're black and have a 3.3/37 you have >100% chance of being accepted!

29. MT Headed

MT Headed snow, PBR, and bears
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    And oddly enough, there is a dip at MCAT 33-34. If you are in that range consistently on your practice tests, you'd be better off skipping a passage or otherwise deliberately getting a few wrong so your score would be 31 and your odds of acceptance would go way up.

30. FutureDoctor07

Pre-Medical
    Why does it look bad to take the MCATs twice??? Just curious

31. 487806

487806 Life of the Party!
    Rocket Scientist

Who are you talking to?