HBCU versus non-HBCU and the minority applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

njbmd

I wanted to post a thread about a couple of issues that any underrepresented minority applicant will face in terms of which medical schools that they apply to and where the ultimately decide to matriculate. Your ultimate medical school needs to provide you with a quality education (if it's in the United States and if it's accredited you are fine) along with an atmosphere in which you feel comfortable and can thrive academically. In spite of what you read in other threads about "tiers" of medical schools, medical education in this country is very uniform. What is not uniform, is the atmosphere in which you will study and interact with your patients and colleagues.

That atmosphere will surround you every day that you attend classes or work on the wards. You have to be comfortable and you have to be able to fully concentrate on your studies without having to worry about where your rent is coming from or whether or not you can pay off your loans once you are done. There are plenty of upscale medical schools that are located in what could be termed "less than desirable" neighborhoods yet their students adapt to how they go about their daily work and do well. There are some medical schools that are located in wonderful locations but the students who attend are not supportive and can make even the most wonderful location, not a desirable experience. In short, look at where you feel you can thrive because it will be your performance (not the location or your medical school itself) that will determine your career.

Also keep in mind that when you get to third year, you have to have the support and nurturing of the clinical faculty (and residency staff) at your medical school. Third-year evaluations are very subjective and you don't want to have a struggle at this very important juncture in your studies. When you interview, be sure to speak with upper division medical students of color and address the learning atmosphere in the clinical years.

Don't "thumb your nose" at the HBCUs because you don't see them at the top of US News and World Reports rankings. Those USNWR rankings will have less effect on your career than the support of the clinical faculty or the quality of instruction as it relates to you personally. There is no faculty member at any HBCU that is not totally dedicated to providing the best educational opportunity for their students (regardless of color). Most of us who came through medical training realize the absolute necessity of providing the very best advice and opportunities for the folks who come behind us (again, regardless of color). When you have felt the "sting" of outright discrimination (sometimes from patients and sometimes from your colleagues), you tend to make sure that atmosphere is not perpetuated on your part.

Finally, do not ever allow anyone to look at you (and your color) and make you feel ashamed that you are somehow inferior. No matter where you attend medical school, you are there because you earned the right to be there. Medical school is not a "reward" for being a certain color or filling a quota. Many non-URM applicants love to "play this card" because it allows them to somehow feel superior at your expense. Don't give them the satisfaction by allowing them to project their feelings of insecurity onto you.

We don't give out seats in medical school for the following reasons:
  • Because you are a "nice" person.
  • Because you are a certain color, sex, age, sexual orientation.
  • Because you attended a certain university/college.
  • Because we feel "sorry" for you because you have overcome difficulty.

When an applicant is accepted into medical school, it is because something in that applicant's application gives that particular admissions committee concrete evidence that the applicant can thrive in a particular school. Most people who are accepted go on to be very strong students and have great careers. We don't give seats to "at risk" people that we know will struggle for day one. Sometimes we make mistakes but the successes far outweigh the mistakes.

I can distinctly remember some interesting experiences back when I applied to medical school. At some interviews, I was the only person of color (and definitely much older than most of the applicants). I can also remember on three occasions, being "dismissed" by some of my fellow interviewees as not have any chance of getting into medical school. One young man took it upon himself to point out that I would never have any substantial career because I was too old and could potentially take a seat from someone who was younger and likely going to contribute more to medicine. I politely thanked him for sharing his opinion and went on to have a great interview and gain an acceptance.

Go where you are most comfortable and definitely and carefully consider the day to day atmosphere of all the schools that interview you and all that accept you. Pay very close attention to the "vibe" that you get from your fellow students (especially those of color). Ask plenty of questions and don't just look at the things that you are shown. Look at and consider everything about a school from the administration to the quality of the classrooms and library to where you can park your car on a daily basis. (Nothing can ruin your study schedule worse than having your car booted during exam week).

You can achieve excellence in scholarship and nurturing from any medical school in this country that is a good fit for you. Pay attention to your instincts and consider every school that interviews and accepts you. If you only get into one school, then that's the best one for you and your decision becomes much easier. ;) If you have multiple acceptances, as I did, pay attention to your instincts and go where you know you will be the most comfortable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
great info to have as we go through this process. thanks again njbmd!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, thanks for posting this..I definitely think it should be stickied. It answered a lot of questions that have still been nagging me, and I think it'll be of even greater value to those that are still in the process of applying/thinking about a health profession.

Thanks agaiN!