Other HBCU vs Non-HBCU residency - Family Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhb10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a URM rising MS4 at a so ranked "mid tier" medical school applying into family medicine. I had a fantastic time at my school and loved everything about my experience, including the training and especially that we had a big minority community. I remember having a hard time turning down "top 5" programs for medical school to chose a school that I felt I would be happier and it ended up the best decision looking back. Now I am considering applying to residency for FM - and I am really interested in some HBCU programs where I feel like I would really connect with faculty and staff and make connections that I would keep to go on to serve urban underserved populations. On the other hand, I know that I have the qualifications to go to any residency program and am wondering what are the pros vs cons of attending hbcu residency programs? How important is reputation in terms of the ability to care for the underserved? Does the quality of training differs so much from program to program despite reputation/funding?
Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you have some time to make this decision- it’s worth applying to the HBCU programs, as well as some other programs in parts of the country where you’d like to live, preferably with an emphasis in treating underserved populations. As you go on interviews in both, and look at their post-residency job placements and talk to the residents, the choice should become more clear.

Best of luck!