1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

HCMC/U of M

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by zensurg, May 3, 2004.

1. zensurg

zensurg Member
    5+ Year Member

Can anybody pass on a little info about University of Minnesota or HCMC surgery programs? I'm particularly interested in HCMC. I've seen that they only interview about 36 candidates per year for 4 spots. Is this a hot regional program or do they see applicants from around the US? Does anybody think the 6 years makes it appealing or just a pain in the ass? Any other information would be welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. IBS

IBS Junior Member

I did not do any rotations at either location, nor did I rotate there, although I did interview at both.

U of M - 99% academic track and proud of it. Not all, but most people do 2-4 years of lab/Phd research. The chief I talked with was a 9th year. Although for fellows sounds like they get what they want, the best peds and CT programs. Typical program, scutted years 1-3 and lab for 2-4 and then finish up with chief years. The lab is not mandatory but HIGHLY encouraged.

HCMC - Great place if you want to know what the heck you are doing early. One of the people who I interviewed with at U of M (faculty) said if I really wanted to know how to operate without a fellowship that is where I needed to go. Great residents. The trauma/critical care fellowship between years 3-4 is in flux. It is a mandatory 6 year program. They do make it clear that 50% of residents come from U of M and they like to take prelims. Would highly suggest rotation - good luck though, have to go through U of M.

If you like the midwest great programs. Although on completely different ends of the spectrum in terms of programs.

Hope it helps