Head and Neck Anatomy... the joy.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MC1255

floss boss.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow future (and current) dentists,

As a first yr. dental student about to start Head & Neck in Gross Anatomy, I was wondering: What supplementary materials did you use to study?

My professor recommended to NOT use Netter's, so I'm interested to hear what everyone else used to get through this part of Gross.

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

My professor recommended to NOT use Netter's, so I'm interested to hear what everyone else used to get through this part of Gross.

Thanks in advance :)

Netter's Head and Neck Anatomy for Dentistry was great for me. Helped me tremendously with the boards. That's all I used.

Why did your professor not like Netter's?

Members don't see this ad :)
I really liked Netter's H & N anatomy for dentistry, but McMinns is good too if you're looking for an alternative.

The pink Netter's H&N anatomy book was instrumental to acing anatomy for me. Then I used it to study for boards. Now, it's one of 3 actual paper textbooks sitting on my desk. Is your professor a PhD or a dentist? He/she might be a "purist" and the H&N Netters (not the giant full atlas) is kind of quick and dirty and great for dentists.

Thank you for your replies! I'm not quite sure why my professor is so anti-Netter's... she is a PhD, so that could mean she's a purist.

I'm going to go with Netter's Head & Neck thanks to your recommendations- I trust your opinions more!!

Thanks again :)

Acland's anatomy videos and Netters are gonna be your best friends.

Thank you for your replies! I'm not quite sure why my professor is so anti-Netter's... she is a PhD, so that could mean she's a purist.

I'm going to go with Netter's Head & Neck thanks to your recommendations- I trust your opinions more!!

Thanks again :)

That doesn't mean anything... There are profs with PhDs that love netters. Just get an atlas you like. Who cares, as long as it works for you.

My course director uses Baby Moore's. I still got Big Moore's and found it to be excessively detailed but more readable. I stuck with Wiki, Rohen's, powerpoints, and Baby Moore's. I only used like five pages in Moore's Atlas.

Just bought netter's for $80, were starting our dissection on Monday, Only $80 brand new, not that bad if you ask me, seems legit.

My course director uses Baby Moore's. I still got Big Moore's and found it to be excessively detailed but more readable. I stuck with Wiki, Rohen's, powerpoints, and Baby Moore's. I only used like five pages in Moore's Atlas.

Didn't need the textbook too much when we had Gudas' crystal clear lectures did we? ;)

Did anyone use Netter's Head and Neck flashcards? I'm not sure which ones to get - the ones that come with the entire set of anatomy flash cards, or the separate volume titled "Advanced Head and Neck Flash Cards". Maybe they're the same? Or maybe the separate volume is too detailed?

Did anyone use Netter's Head and Neck flashcards? I'm not sure which ones to get - the ones that come with the entire set of anatomy flash cards, or the separate volume titled "Advanced Head and Neck Flash Cards". Maybe they're the same? Or maybe the separate volume is too detailed?

I used the flashcards from netter's and I felt like they were helpful. I really enjoyed using rohen's color atlas of anatomy. (They had real dissections and labels accordingly.. quite helpful for the practicals.)

I use Netter presenter to make my own flashcards.

Last edited: