head and neck cancer pain mgt qn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neutro

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings:

I wanted to pick SDN pain community's brain on this case I am managing.

53 y/r old male, advanced laryngeal SCC (history of chewing tobacco), s/p radiation, partial laryngeal resection, tongue resection at a university center in Philadelphia. Patient now has a PEG tube, has lost a ton of weight also. Has recurrence of cancer after excision of tumor (I am not sure the details of the procedure - didnt get reports yet), but was told by his ENT surgeon that he's not a surgical candidate anymore and possibly radiation and immunotherapy are options.
The first ENT surgeon who referred the patient to me is community based and was managing his pain and referred him to me back in August. The patient came to me on methadone 20 q6h + oxycodone 30 q3 hours. He's max'd out on gabapentin already at 3600 mg/day. I did start tylenol 1g po q8hr.
His surgeons did not want an intrathecal pump at that time because he was frequently traveling from here to Philly and he was also on Abx here and there.
Im seeing him q2-3 weeks.
At the time of discharge from hospital after his recent 10 day admission, the hospice doctor who managed his pain while inpatient called me to transition his opioids. He is now on:
1) Tylenol 1g liquid q8h via PEG
2) Gabapentin liquid 2700-3600 mg/day
3) Methadone increased to 120 mg/ day (30 q6)
4) Oxycodone increased to 45 mg q3 hours.
5) xanax 0.5-1 mg qpm to sleep.

I just wrote him a script of oxycodone 15mg # 720 for the month. I was not comfortable with it, but no one else in the community will touch him and thats why his first ENT doctor was writing his meds to begin with. He is the one who diagnosed him.
I called the pharmacist myself and re-assured that this is his new titrated regimen. I got so worried today that I called the DEA office in Philadelphia and spoke to the agent to give them a heads up re: this dose and the circumstances.
Of note, I did do two UDS with GC/ MS on him when I was getting to know him initially - both were normal and expected.

Now that he is likely palliative care, I want to plan intrathecal pump trial for him.

My question is:

1) How effective is intrathecal analgesia for head and neck cancers? I know the evidence is there for visceral cancers, but will it work effectively for his condition? or will it be a waste of resources?
He is OK on this current oral regimen.
Majority of the pain is left side of the neck - The ENT docs left the incision open because there is drainage - hence on and off abx - thinking its infection/ abscess vs. increasing tumor size. It looks red and angry. There is always this concern about doing invasive procedures like spinal analgesia with questionable systemic infection. Is the risk worth taking for supposed benefits?

2) Are there any other options for him?

Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

this patient has terminal cancer. the DEA is not going to come after you. and please do not worry about turning this fellow into an addict.
you might simplify things with a fentanyl patch. personally i would much rather have a fentanyl patch (assuming it works) than an IT pump.

Reactions: 1 user
fentanyl patch did not work.
three pain practices have shut down in my area in the last 8 months. one was found to have 1.2M cash at his office. as algosdoc once said - its absolute open season on pain doctors at this time - it is certainly the case in my community. It is best to be careful and transparent irrespective of the diagnosis being cancer. Our regulators are not able to discern between these issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
We do not have an outpatient hospice/ pal care Doctor.

Thanks, but surprisingly does not list Monroe County there...haha. Actually I am not that surprised at all...
We did have one, but she left back in August. At this time, we do not have that service in the community.
The cancer docs do try to manage pain, and if its too much, then I get the patient. This is one such patient, I am finding difficult to manage.

The question still stands, will intrathecal pump be a good idea for him? Are they effective for Head and Neck cancers?

this patient has terminal cancer. the DEA is not going to come after you. and please do not worry about turning this fellow into an addict.
you might simplify things with a fentanyl patch. personally i would much rather have a fentanyl patch (assuming it works) than an IT pump.
FYI - just got a notice today that his pharmacy will only give him #72 tabs of oxycodone out of 720 because insurance wont approve it, "out of safety" reasons.
Hes coming back again to clinic.

Thanks, but surprisingly does not list Monroe County there...haha. Actually I am not that surprised at all...
We did have one, but she left back in August. At this time, we do not have that service in the community.
The cancer docs do try to manage pain, and if its too much, then I get the patient. This is one such patient, I am finding difficult to manage.

The question still stands, will intrathecal pump be a good idea for him? Are they effective for Head and Neck cancers?

Oh, head & neck cancer pain--it doesn't get any more challenging from a management standpoint when the pain becomes medically refractory. Assuming that you can't get this patient to hospice, any possibility of an interventional approach is really predicated on the exact location of the tumor recurrence and whether the pain stems from the recurrent tumor itself or from other issues related to prior treatment (post radiation neuritis, plexopathy, mucositis, etc.). You might be able to get by with a neurolytic procedure targeting peripheral nerve(s). If not, I think IT therapy is a reasonable option, assuming that the patient has at least 3 months left. If you opt for the latter, the trialing method will be essential. Plan on hospital admission for an intrathecal catheter trial (2-3 days) with the catheter tip in the mid-cervical spine. You'll need to have the infrastructure in place to intubate the patient and provide cardiovascular support if necessary, if things go south with initiation of the infusions. Start with fentanyl and strongly consider the addition of bupivacaine. Slow and conservative are the name of the game. I wouldn't worry about the infection issue if there are no systemic signs. Obviously you'll need to have a long discussion with the patient beforehand about the risks and benefits. It's a hail mary with significant risks, but what else are you going to do if hospice isn't possible???? Good luck. If I remember correctly, there was a case series published quite some time ago for this very situation--medically refractory head & neck cancer patients who underwent IT therapy. The results would support the use of it.

I agree with the IT pump with high catheter placement....the catheter insertion can be done far away from the cervical spine- using a long catheter, it is possible to advance from the lumbar to the high thoracic level. The critical issue will be lipophilicity of the drug used. Too lipophilic and the patient will not have high enough levels around the brainstem where as not lipophilic will spread too far cephalad. The glossopharyngeal nerve is the target if possible for injections but with an open wound on the neck, you may only be able to reach this high in the neck and this is a bit dicey from the risk standpoint.

do you have some sense of prognosis?

If the pain is mostly localized to the neck incision you could look at topical morphine if it is an open incision.
It is hard to imagine any benefit in increasing his opioids when he is already on so much, I agree with the IT pump.
You may be able to get oral ketamine for him which could be more effective than other oral options-we can only get it approved for hospice around here. There is more variability in how it works orally vs IV.
Is medical marijuana something to entertain in this case?

Not enough literature to support IT pump for cranial pain conditions. Only FDA approved IT med is morphine. Chances of therapeutic levels cranially is unlikely, and high thoracic catheter boluses with oral meds is going to make it very risky from respiratory Drive perspective. Add the fact that you are going to alter sympathetic tone at high spinal IT levels, i.e. Bradycardia, hypotension.

That being said you need a IT morphine trial to confirm efficacy first. That's ultimately your gold standard answer.... I agree with adding marinol, MJ, Ritalin, cymablta for hospice patients. Good case

High cervical stim to get V3 and below? thoughts?
Good thought, maybe simple TG block and referral for cyber knife . I had a similar case recently

Good thought, maybe simple TG block and referral for cyber knife . I had a similar case recently
That could work to, but I was thinking high cervical SCS, which will often get mandible and below. TG block and cyber knife would be more involved, but I don't know if would get the actual neck pain...

That could work to, but I was thinking high cervical SCS, which will often get mandible and below. TG block and cyber knife would be more involved, but I don't know if would get the actual neck pain...
TGN would cover the pharyngeal
one really needs to do a high IT morphine trial to prove that it can be effective. Typically the IT morphine will exponentially dilute every spinal segment distal to the target site. Unless the catheter is close to the pathological site, the efficacy diminishes. This akin to differential blockade concepts.

Thank you for your suggestions.
I will have to take pictures of his wound and incision and share it. His anatomy is all distorted after multiple operations.
prognosis is maybe 4 months but i dont know - he will undergo immunotherapy and another round of chemo i believe.

at this time, from above, perhaps there is role of superficial cervical plexus block and glossopharyngal nerve block for pain. but can we do pulsed RF of these for sustained relief?

SPG SCS trial using the infrazygomatic approach... I think Kapural does these