Heading in the right direction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hstone6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I believe I am heading in the right direction to go to medical school, but wanted to make sure with some second opinions.

I am a sophomore at The University of Tennessee and am currently in my last physics and last organic. I have a 3.8 gpa and am involved in many extra curricular activities. I am a member of several organizations on campus, including a pre-medical honor society, a medical student association (AMSA), another national honor society, and a organization where I go and volunteer in a public school clinic each week for an hour. I am involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters where I go and hangout with a little kid at a public school each week too. I did an internship at UT Med Center after my senior year of high school where I shadowed 5 different doctors for 5 weeks, probably 200 hours or so of shadowing. I also shadowed a OBGYN that I know in Louisiana the summer after my junior year. I also volunteered in the ER at the hospital for about 150 hours and I now currently work there where I am a Patient Care Attendant/ ED Tech. I went to Haiti and the Dominican Republic last March to perform medical assistance to the earthquake victims for my spring break. I met a little boy there whose house had fallen on him and I have now arranged for the boy to come to the states and have an acrylic plate put in for free at a hospital here. I was connected with a organization that is based here and works in Haiti and around the world and was asked to be on the board of the organization and am now a board member. I have also volunteered with the National Kidney Foundation where I helped with a kidney screening program for locals. I co-owned and operated a lawn care company for about 2 years where we had about 20 customers and we managed and performed work for that.

Is there anything that you suggest that I should be doing also? Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I have not set anything up to yet, but definitely could look into it. I have never been a huge fan of doing research just because I really just don't enjoy it all that much. I would much rather be doing patient care and medical work like I am doing at the hospital. Do you think that I do need to definitely do some type of research?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not set anything up to yet, but definitely could look into it. I have never been a huge fan of doing research just because I really just don't enjoy it all that much. I would much rather be doing patient care and medical work like I am doing at the hospital. Do you think that I do need to definitely do some type of research?

Why are you encouraged to volunteer and shadow? (Rhetorical question: so you learn what you like and dislike. "Don't knock it 'til you try it").

Yes, it would be in your best interest to engage in some type of research, whether it be medically related or not.

Even if your research activity is only a summer's worth, it definitely strengthens your application. That said, no, it isn't essential. Only 60% list a research experience. Greater strength in another arena can compensate. But if you look through the MSAR, for many med schools, 65-95% of those accepted had research (where others have 45%). It would be important for you to check out the schools you plan to target before you decide.

Ok, I will definitely check it out. How can I look at the MSAR? When I have tried to go to the portion about applicants and those accepted, it says the page does not exist. Anyone have a link please? Also, anything else that you suggest?

Also, the reason I volunteer and shadow is because helping people is my passion and I am intrigued and love the field of medicine. It is what I have always wanted to do and loved and believe that is my calling.

Last edited:
That would be great. My top three probably are:
1) University of Tennessee, Memphis
2) ETSU: Quillen College of Medicine
3) UNC at Chapel Hill

Thanks so much!

Wow, that is fairly high. I definitely do need to check into it. Thanks for the info Catalystik and advice!