Heading Into My Second Year of College and Have Not Volunteered. Ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewDayNewNight

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

First I would like to state that I am new here and if I put this post in the wrong forum, please correct me so I do not make the same mistake next time. The community here seems quite friendly so you might end up seeing me around often.
Right now I am a second year Community College student majoring in Biochemistry. My original plan was volunteer at my local hospital but personal issues became a problem and had to drop it. Now heading into my second year, I plan to volunteer at the hospital or other places that might interest me.
My problem is that other than a hospital what should I volunteer in?
Does the place I plan to volunteer at have to be medical related?
I have little knowledge on what medical schools look at in a person, other than GPA and MCAT scores of course, and hope I can learn from people on here. I have visited 4 different counselors and they all have provided little to no help.

I have other questions that I plan to post later on, but I for this post I want it to be strictly on volunteering ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

Try Hospice volunteering. Even being a companion and friend/talking to the patients on a scheduled basis every week makes all the difference.

Also try tutoring younger disadvantaged children in underserved areas such as inner city elementary schools if possible.

Both are rewarding experiences.

Also, no not every volunteering has to be medically related. In fact, I believe adcoms want you to do some non-clinical volunteering as well.

Whatever you do, if you get into those dead end volunteer positions where you organize old files or something... get out immediately. Its a waste of time and there is no meaningful experience you can write about doing secretary work.

Reactions: 1 users
Doesn't really matter what you volunteer in specifically. Pick something you care about and something that you'll be able to make somewhat of an impact doing while still enjoying your time volunteering.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hospital volunteering can be a bit cookie cutter IMO. Try hospice, a psych ward, a suicide hotline, a free clinic in an urban environment, or a state run hospital/correctional unit.

Those places are not as over run with volunteers and therefor appreciate you more and let you do more hands on kind of stuff. At a regular hospital there's a good chance you'll end up folding towels for 2 hours a weekend.

Reactions: 2 users
Try Hospice volunteering. Even being a companion and friend/talking to the patients on a scheduled basis every week makes all the difference.

Also try tutoring younger disadvantaged children in underserved areas such as inner city elementary schools if possible.

Both are rewarding experiences.

Also, no not every volunteering has to be medically related. In fact, I believe adcoms want you to do some non-clinical volunteering as well.

Whatever you do, if you get into those dead end volunteer positions where you organize old files or something... get out immediately. Its a waste of time and there is no meaningful experience you can write about doing secretary work.

What is Hospice volunteering? I looked it up and skimmed a little, is it sort of like counseling?
And the hospital I was going to volunteer was pretty much like what you said, filing paperwork, sitting at the front desk, changing tissues boxes and napkins.

What is Hospice volunteering? I looked it up and skimmed a little, is it sort of like counseling?
And the hospital I was going to volunteer was pretty like how you said, filing paperwork, sitting at the front desk, changing tissues boxes and napkins.

A hospice is a facility that takes care of terminally ill, seriously ill or chronically ill patients. A lot of these people are going to pass away unfortunately. Imagine what your experiences being a companion to them in their last days will be like.

The actual volunteering that you do there can be varied. For example, some people literally go talk to these patients for several hours per volunteer "shift".

Other volunteers bring hospice patients coffee and food which is fine as well.

I'm sure there are other volunteer duties you could perform at a Hospice.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't really matter what you volunteer in specifically. Pick something you care about and something that you'll be able to make somewhat of an impact doing while still enjoying your time volunteering.

So volunteer at a place that I will enjoy and can help make a difference and learn from that experience?

Patient contact is important, unless you're getting lots of patient contact elsewhere. I like the hospice idea.

A hospice is a facility that takes care of terminally ill, seriously ill or chronically ill patients. A lot of these people are going to pass away unfortunately. Imagine what your experiences being a companion to them in their last days will be like.

I see, I do know another local hospital that does that. I honestly would be ok with that, I like try to cheer up people when they are down even at the hardest of times. Now that I am writing about this, I feel like it would be something I would like to help with!

I see, I do know another local hospital that does that. I honestly would be ok with that, I like try to cheer up people when they are down even at the hardest of times. Now that I am writing about this, I feel like it would be something I would like to help with!

Yes do it!

It can be a strong experience.

Hospital volunteering can be a bit cookie cutter IMO. Try hospice, a psych ward, a suicide hotline, a free clinic in an urban environment, or a state run hospital/correctional unit.

Those places are not as over run with volunteers and therefor appreciate you more and let you do more hands on kind of stuff. At a regular hospital there's a good chance you'll end up folding towels for 2 hours a weekend.

Very true, the hospital I wanted to volunteer in had duties like that and I felt like I wouldn't learn anything from it?

Alright definitely adding that to my volunteer list!
How many volunteer programs do you think I can fit If I just go to school Monday and Wednesday?

Oh, that's something you are going to have to figure out haha. There are too many variables to give you an accurate answer.

Try contacting your school's volunteer center (if they have one). As a hospice volunteer, I have to second that idea! I love the hospice facility where I volunteer, I get lots of interaction with clients, and I feel like I make a difference there (as cheesy as it sounds).

Oh, that's something you are going to have to figure out haha. There are too many variables to give you an accurate answer.

Haha ok, I'll have to see for myself. It might be two since I am trying to do some shadowing and research programs as well. That I will make a post later.

Thank you for your help and others who replied too, I really appreciate it! I'm in a tough time right now trying to organize my life and be on track thankfully there are people willing to help!

Haha ok, I'll have to see for myself. It might be two since I am trying to do some shadowing and research programs as well. That I will make a post later.

Thank you for your help and others who replied too, I really appreciate it! I'm in a tough time right now trying to organize my life and be on track thankfully there are people willing to help!

Sure.

Some colleges have scribing programs (mine does), and I know that it looks solid on an application. It wouldn't fall under the "volunteer" category, because you do get paid for most scribing positions. However, if you can't find anything else to do and/or your college doesn't offer the program, you could always contact your local hospital for such jobs. Physicians are very open to having scribes due to the amount of time they spend typing rather than face-to-face contact during a follow-up. I would know because I spent 300 hours shadowing cardiologists this summer, and they were all thrilled to see a scribe for that day.

And the hospital I was going to volunteer was pretty much like what you said, filing paperwork, sitting at the front desk, changing tissues boxes and napkins.
I volunteer through a hospice right now. I've volunteered in a typical ER/UC before, and this is so much better. You actually get to talk to people, have meaningful conversations, and it's actually fun sometimes. You can go to bingo with them, or watch TV with them, or take them for a walk. It doesn't feel like a waste of time like hospital volunteering does, and it can actually be fun.

I volunteer through a hospice right now. I've volunteered in a typical ER/UC before, and this is so much better. You actually get to talk to people, have meaningful conversations, and it's actually fun sometimes. You can go to bingo with them, or watch TV with them, or take them for a walk. It doesn't feel like a waste of time like hospital volunteering does, and it can actually be fun.

Yep yep.

Not all clinical volunteering has to be in a hospital. Think clinics, hospice as mentioned above, nursing homes, Ronald McDonald House, camps for sick children, Planned Parenthood, or crisis hotlines.

Not non-clinical opportunities, check out your local houses of worship. I'm a fan of Habitat for Humanity.

Not all clinical volunteering has to be in a hospital. Think clinics, hospice as mentioned above, nursing homes, Ronald McDonald House, camps for sick children, Planned Parenthood, or crisis hotlines.

Not non-clinical opportunities, check out your local houses of worship. I'm a fan of Habitat for Humanity.

I really did not like hospital volunteering, I felt like it was similar to the way people describe "voluntourism," in that it benefits only the volunteer. I never felt like I was making a difference there, and was sometimes just an extra thing that the busy nurses had to think about. Volunteering at places that actually need help, free clinics, homeless services, other places that are not as "glamorous" as the surgical floor or the emergency room, has been much more fulfilling.

Reactions: 1 user