Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Health Admin Masters -- is it beneficial?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by dentintraining, Jul 31, 2006.

1. dentintraining

dentintraining Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Ok, so I'm sitting at a 3.0 even, and still have 40+ credits before graduation. I just finished a 20 credit summer, with a B+ and (5) A-. I should be able to bring the 'ole GPA up to 3.2 - 3.4 (I'm taking another 20 credits fall semester -- so we'll see). I plan on graduating after next summer semester, and if I don't do extremely well on the DAT I would like to enter my schools Health Administration Masters program, and re-apply to D-School after I finish, my question is this: would this be at all beneficial to my cause?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dentalguy

dentalguy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

yes it would....i would apply to that program along with applying to dental schools.....that way it serves as a backup....if you get your GPA to 3.2-3.4 youll be fine with good DAT.....but backups never hurt....i applied to a masters in bioethics last year when I applied to dental school....i didn't get into dental school but did get in this year.....i had a solid grad GPA within my program which the adcoms liked a lot......pm me if you have questions on bioethics because it is only 1 year as opposed to two for most masters

4. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Assuming that you actually want the health administration background it doesn't sound too bad. However after two years in a non-sciences background graduate program you may need to get a job in health administration somewhere until you strengthen your application back up and get it current to get into dental school.

5. dentalguy

dentalguy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

yes that may be true, but I did a one year program in bioethics....not hardcore science.....i wrote my thesis on dental ethics.....health administration would help with running an office if you ask me.....

6. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I don't want to besmirch the highly respected individuals who gave us managed care, for-profit medicine, or pre-authorized medical services but it seems that health administration is mostly about the money. True, business models and quality improvement can be studied in a graduate program but in the end this is a non-medical person attempting to put pressure on a healthcare system driven by medically trained people. I don't see how the LORs, shadowing, volunteering, and science coursework will continue into what is basically a business program. If you want to work in health administration then I think the masters is for you. If you want to become more competitive for dental school then I think you should look at the many 1 or 2 year masters programs in biosciences.

7. dentalguy

dentalguy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

While I agree hardcore science masters may be best (especially if you have a low science GPA) there is nothing wrong with doing the health administration. WHy? Because you have to run a business in dentistry unless you get hired for a company to do dentistry or do the military. There are many dentists that fail at dentistry not because they are bad dentists but because they don't manage their practice well. This is not true for everyone but a little business background would be nice. As I said before I did a non hardcore science masters and I did just fine since I got into dschool this year...

8. jrm

jrm
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    As a current Masters of Public Health student, I must say that it was one of the best choices I have ever made. Before starting the program, I wasn't sure what type of professional school to pursue. My MPH program has truly helped me to decide dentistry is the right choice.

Although an MPH is different than an MHA, they both involve management (obviously), which will invariably help you as a practicing dentist. My program also focuses on health policy, which will be useful beyond my private practice (i.e. government posts, organizational responsibilities, etc.)

Any graduate program that demonstrates your ability to survive graduate-level coursework, science or otherwise, will surely make you a more attractive dental school applicant. Keep in mind, however, that many schools will not admit graduate students until they finish their program and get a graduate degree. Good luck! :D

9. dentalguy

dentalguy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

YES!!