leahmaria

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I am filling out the rush secondary, and it asks about health care experience and breaks it into employment and volunteering. i am currently job shadowing, which doesn't fit into either category...should i still list it?

R.P. McMurphy

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
leahmaria said:
I am filling out the rush secondary, and it asks about health care experience and breaks it into employment and volunteering. i am currently job shadowing, which doesn't fit into either category...should i still list it?
If you have to choose one, volunteering sounds better to me. You should definitely list it.

zach1201

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2006
Status
Why don't people consider shadowing a volunteer experience? Aren't you volunteering your time?

ADeadLois

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Status
Medical Student
zach1201 said:
Why don't people consider shadowing a volunteer experience? Aren't you volunteering your time?

Technically you're right, but volunteer experience carries the connotation of helping people constructively.

OP
L

leahmaria

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
zach1201 said:
It's not like you're volunteering your time to help someone else..thats what I consider volunteering

R.P. McMurphy

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
zach1201 said:
I guess because even though you are volunteering your time, you are doing it solely for yourself. Volunteers give to a cause, shadowing is more of a self-interest type of thing.

R.P. McMurphy

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
leahmaria said:
so, you all think i should list it under volunteering?
I think so, because it's definitely not employment :laugh:

zach1201

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2006
Status
ironmanf14 said:
I guess because even though you are volunteering your time, you are doing it solely for yourself. Volunteers give to a cause, shadowing is more of a self-interest type of thing.
Very true, you're not really providing a service.