Health Care Reform Will Force Residents to Be Trained in Preventive Medicine!

DarthNeurology

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2008
Windy City
Status
Woah, I just read something amazing about the health care reform bill, apparently on page 447 there is a provision for assuring "general adult preventive medicine" competence for doctors who care for adult patients in a variety of medical specialties if they are in, or have been in, residency in the past 6 years. What in the world??! Here is a snippet from an article about it:

Post medical graduate trainees enrolled in residency training involved in the care of adult patients in the United States will be required to complete an additional six months of preventive and general medicine training. For example, an OB/GYN resident will be required to take a six month course involving clinic and ward activities in preparation for passage of a nationally administered examination in general adult preventive medical services.

Apparently Obama wasn't kidding when he said that he wanted to strengthen preventive services in the country . . . now everybody like general surgey residents and ob/gyn residents will need to do a six month rotation basically at the end of residency in order to be to able to apply for licensure. Wow. With all of the changes who knew that this was stuck in there.

My PD was on a committee which researched this and says that an extra six months won't be that much of a deal . . . and it won't take effect until 2011, and the exam will have an 85% percent passage rate! Outrageous! I didn't believe her until I saw it in the news.

In addition, residents will have to do the six month course at a federally designated health care shortage hospital, meaning that apparently you may have to move at the end of residency to complete this, or at least move temporarily.

Any thoughts? this is gonna be a big pain:mad: One of my friends was going to be married after graduating residency and now she has to deal with this!

ranmyaku

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Wait. This is in addition to 3 years of IM training? So the bill just made IM training 3.5 years?

edit: I just read through page 447 on 3 versions of the bill and it has nothing to do with "general adult preventive medicine." Can you provide the link to the article or the specific section of the bill that says this. I also searched the bill (quickly) to see if I could find any reference to what you mentioned and couldn't find anything.

Last edited:

trophyhusband

7+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2009
Status
Non-Student
Wait. This is in addition to 3 years of IM training? So the bill just made IM training 3.5 years?

edit: I just read through page 447 on 3 versions of the bill and it has nothing to do with "general adult preventive medicine." Can you provide the link to the article or the specific section of the bill that says this. I also searched the bill (quickly) to see if I could find any reference to what you mentioned and couldn't find anything.
If I'm not mistaken today is April 1st...

RxnMan

Who, me? A doctor?
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2006
Somewhere in time and relative dimensions in space
Status
Medical Student

benjee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Status
Woah, I just read something amazing about the health care reform bill, apparently on page 447 there is a provision for assuring "general adult preventive medicine" competence for doctors who care for adult patients in a variety of medical specialties if they are in, or have been in, residency in the past 6 years. What in the world??! Here is a snippet from an article about it:

Post medical graduate trainees enrolled in residency training involved in the care of adult patients in the United States will be required to complete an additional six months of preventive and general medicine training. For example, an OB/GYN resident will be required to take a six month course involving clinic and ward activities in preparation for passage of a nationally administered examination in general adult preventive medical services.

Apparently Obama wasn't kidding when he said that he wanted to strengthen preventive services in the country . . . now everybody like general surgey residents and ob/gyn residents will need to do a six month rotation basically at the end of residency in order to be to able to apply for licensure. Wow. With all of the changes who knew that this was stuck in there.

My PD was on a committee which researched this and says that an extra six months won't be that much of a deal . . . and it won't take effect until 2011, and the exam will have an 85% percent passage rate! Outrageous! I didn't believe her until I saw it in the news.

In addition, residents will have to do the six month course at a federally designated health care shortage hospital, meaning that apparently you may have to move at the end of residency to complete this, or at least move temporarily.

Any thoughts? this is gonna be a big pain:mad: One of my friends was going to be married after graduating residency and now she has to deal with this!
See, this clearly shows how layman ( non-medical field ) try to impose something that is not the root of the problem. Just take our great president as example, he still smoke, so , how does it help when all the MDs take all extensive preventive courses but the clients/public do not comply wit suggestions, still leading to unhealthy lifestyle and blame others for their poor health conditions.

Ludicolo

Fib Hunter
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2008
Conjunction Junction
Status
Attending Physician
See, this clearly shows how layman ( non-medical field ) try to impose something that is not the root of the problem. Just take our great president as example, he still smoke, so , how does it help when all the MDs take all extensive preventive courses but the clients/public do not comply wit suggestions, still leading to unhealthy lifestyle and blame others for their poor health conditions.
Who is more a fool? The fool or the fool who follows the fool?

racerx

ASA Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2001
Status
Attending Physician

Well played on 4/1 Darth. Well played!!!:thumbup::clap:

Siggy

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]

If this was serious, my initial thought was, "Fine, I guess I won't get a medical license from the federal government then."

Eta Carinae

Removed
Oct 20, 2009
Secession-ville
Status
Post Doc
Woah

First off, its WHOA, not woah ;)

My thought was- WOW!, Maobama is so omniscient, he already KNOWS what the pass rate will be!

I guess with such a big head, anything's determinable.

Last edited:

benjee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Status
Darth,
I can't believe it,you made me a fool's fool ( double trouble).. :laugh: pretty traumatic ,I am quitting..for a while, need some time to recover from this.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
...One of my friends was going to be married after graduating residency and now she has to deal with this!
You almost had me going until this last sentence. Then I thought, nah, Darth Neurology doesn't have multiple friends. :laugh: