SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

health insurance during med school

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by japhy, Apr 24, 2002.

1. japhy

japhy Ski Bum 10+ Year Member

Nov 8, 1999
    Alta, Ut
    I was interested in what sorts of student health insurance plans were available at other universities. The plan at my school is horrible and some students are looking at making improvements.

So anyone with great student health insurance, or terrible for that matter, please give me more info.

thanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. I'm not sure about many schools, but I know that Boston University has a few options, one of which is Harvard Pilgrim HMO (one of the 2 big HMOs in Massachusetts). It costs $1500 or so a year, but allows you to see practically any doctor in the city and covers prescriptions at copays of $10, $15, or $30 for preferred brand, generic, and non-preferred drugs, respectively. It's a great deal and isn't virtually indistinguishable from my current, employer-sponsored insurance plan. They also have a PPO and a smaller BMC network plan from which to choose.

Good question. I made solid health insurance a criteria for my med schools at the interview stage because I couldn't afford to pay the high cost of being a severe asthmatic on my own.