Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

health insurance during year off?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by banana5, Apr 13, 2007.

1. banana5

banana5 Member

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing herd protection
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved

If you have no pre-existing health problems, you can buy a short-term health insurance policy on-line for about $60/month (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) with a high deductible and no maternity or drug benefit.

4. SpiresAAC

SpiresAAC New Member

Pre-Medical
    That's exactly what I did...and would suggest.

5. iwannagomed

Pre-Medical
    i didnt have insurance for the yr i took off...

was doing fine without it until i had to get my physical and some blood works required by the school i will be attending... it was an expensive one-time payment, but it was still less than what i would have had to pay if i had insurace at $60/mo...

6. Jccripe

Medical Student
    just risk it your 22 and healthy, just kidding I would buy some cheap as S**T insurance policy

7. okay

In my state (AZ), you are covered under your parents' insurance if you are in school for at least 5 months of the year. So if you finish school this year (assuming it ends in May) and start school in August of 08, you should still be covered. But I'm not sure how many states this applies to.

8. SweetHelix

You also have the choice to COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act) the insurance. Which basically means when the insurance company kicks you out of the system because you aren't a student anymore (this take 1-3months), they will give you a choice to continue paying the insurance rates at the same price that your parents's employer pays, and receive the same coverage. Depending on the group rates that the employer pays this could be expensive and buying a cheap policy at somewhere like blue cross would be to your advantage. I would never suggest for you go without health insurance, because if you have an acute condition (e.g. a serious injury during a car accident) you will find out the the price of medical school is a drop in the bucket compared to how much it cost to stay in a hospital or have surgery. Good luck on have fun on you time off. :luck: