health insurance for dental students- suggestion??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovegoldens

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted in UCLA and they obligate us to have health insurance. I have one now through my husband's company, but will soon lose it and will have to get my own.

I am kind of disappointed the school did not offer us any type of package, and I will have to look for one.

Does anyone recommend a good and cheap health insurance?

I have been living in the US for 2 years now. I am very surprised about the health system here and how expensive health insurance can be!!!
It sucks all those high deductible rates that end up making you not want to go to the doctor for check up and basic treatments...

Members don't see this ad.

I know a lot of student qualify for medicare, but that will depend on how much income you will have.

Also about medicaid, if you feel like you're income falls into the acceptable range, you CAN get it as a legal resident even if you haven't lived in the US for >5 years. I found and was told contradictory information time and again, but the county said they'd go ahead and try to run my wife (not a citizen) through and she was accepted!

You're right: insurance here can be very expensive. Colorado obligates us to have insurance, either theirs or something that meets their criteria, and the school's insurance is about $2400-2800/year. That cost should be covered by your loans, of course.