1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Health Insurance for Med-students

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by SuperflyMD, Jun 25, 2000.

1. SuperflyMD

SuperflyMD Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm trying to decide what to do about my own health insurance. I'll be starting at UTHSC San Antonio next month. They offer a student health insurance policy, but I've heard rumors of better ones offered through various private organizations (like the american medical student assoc.). Anybody willing to share knowledge or experience with this, please reply.

Thanks,

Stephens1

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Snoopy

Snoopy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

A lot of it depends on your personal health situation. If you have any chronic conditions, pre-existing conditions, or take prescription medications you need to look for different things in a health plan than your typical 20-something healthy student. I went with my school health plan (for $600 per year) and it has turned out to be quite good. I have researched outside health plans before (can't remember which) and most of them were either expensive or covered "catastrophic" illness or injury only, i.e. no meds, no routine care, no management of health conditions. In addition, many had high deductibles and large co-pays. The insurance I have through my school has no deductible and a 20% co-pay after they have paid for the first $250. Ask yourself what you need in a health plan and then carefully read the terms and conditions before you enroll.