Health insurance, girlfriend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deadman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I put my girlfriend on my residency health insurance or can only spouses be on the insurance? Has any one done this?

Members don't see this ad.

Can I put my girlfriend on my residency health insurance or can only spouses be on the insurance? Has any one done this?

I've never heard of any plan that allows someone who isn't a spouse/domestic partner or dependent to be allowed on one's plan.

Reactions: 1 users
whats the difference between girl friend and domestic partner? if they live with you

I used to work in Human Resources and do insurance.

She could even be your fiancee and not make it. Has to be a qualified life changing event...like marriage to add them to insurance. Open enrollment is another time you can make changes period.

But, unless they are your spouse, dependent, or now most plans recognize domestic partner.

you like her that much? head to the courthouse and get hitched

Reactions: 4 users
Exactly. For a modest fee, a cheap ring and a blood test you can get her on your insurance policy, your tax return and so on. Nobody is saying you can't get her on the policy if you are willing to take steps to make the relationship legally significant. If you aren't ready for that you aren't ready for her to be on your policy either.

Reactions: 2 users
Depends on if the policy has domestic partner benefits and how they define domestic partner. The definition isn't always strictly limited to same sex couples. Of course this is assuming you're not already covered and are talking about initial enrollment. As noted above, adding someone to an already existing policy is harder and does generally require a life changing event if not done during annual enrollment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...unmarried-heterosexual-couples_n_1532584.html

Last edited:
I find it sort of fascinating that someone could have this question, and in an attempt to answer it, would post it on an internet forum and not simply call the HR department that would be able to tell him definitively. I mean you'd have to talk to HR anyway if it were possible, right?

Reactions: 6 users
I find it sort of fascinating that someone could have this question, and in an attempt to answer it, would post it on an internet forum and not simply call the HR department that would be able to tell him definitively. I mean you'd have to talk to HR anyway if it were possible, right?
Welcome to SDN.

Reactions: 4 users
I've never heard of any plan that allows someone who isn't a spouse/domestic partner or dependent to be allowed on one's plan.

My plan allows it. You don't have to legally be a domestic partner, but you do have to prove you are partners by showing you have some financial ties such as shared bank account, shared bills or on a lease together.

My boyfriend is on my plan.

Lol so true, welcome to the internet. Your advice is spot on to go talk to HR because basically half of the information given in this post is incorrect.

yeah you don't need to get married if there is some less serious legal step that is acceptable to HR

I don't recommend just getting married for insurance and tax benefits
it opens you up to issues of joint ownership of assets, alimony, even pet ownership, in a way being a boyfrind/gf or domestic partners may not
you could literally lose your shirt and Fluffy

getting someone on your insurance is not nearly as binding as a marriage

I've done the domestic parnter thing and gotten added to insurance
we had to have a joint bank account that showed activity for some time, joint lease / proof of cohabitaton for a certian time
dissolution? just had to not live together and/or write in to courthouse requeting to dissolve

the powers of the domestic partnership is defined by the state
or some states it doesn't exist but an insurance company make make such allowances
in the state I was in, domestic partnership just made that person POA unless you designated someone else, next to inherit if you died unless you had a will otherwise
did not cause issues with joint property
did not allow you to file taxes jointly

DISCLAIMER: based on my own experience in 2 states, and the part about Fluffy hearsay from a friend

You have to be married. A GF won't suffice. A domestic partner will only suffice if you are legally married. I wouldn't get married just to giver her insurance. A marriage does have many legal ramifications (including her ability to own half your wealth) later in life. Get married only if you see yourself being with her later. Not just to give her insurance.

You have to be married. A GF won't suffice. A domestic partner will only suffice if you are legally married. I wouldn't get married just to giver her insurance. A marriage does have many legal ramifications (including her ability to own half your wealth) later in life. Get married only if you see yourself being with her later. Not just to give her insurance.

I ain't sayin she a gold digger but....

Pre-nup

Reactions: 1 user
HR will need full on verification that this is indeed your girlfriend.

Someone above said you have to be married

NOT so -- I have had a domestic partner of the opposite sex and was added to their insurance on that basis

the state had ruled that if the point of legislating about domestic partners was to promote equality that the same rights being offered homosexual couples had to be granted to heterosexual couples as well

just my personal anecdote

If you call her your DP instead of marrying her, you'll have to pay income taxes on the cost of her insurance as imputed income. With the current cost of insurance , that could add 10-15k to your w2 gross.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk