Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Health Insurance -- I need it. Who's Good?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by alexcc_ms, May 16, 2000.

1. alexcc_ms

alexcc_ms Member
    10+ Year Member

Going to Westrn UHS/COMP this Fall and I need health insurance. I've heard at other schools that the school plans usually suck. So, who is a good independent plan to go with? I want to be able to see my doc and get cheap perscriptions, but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. Please help. Thx
    http://www.geocities.com/alexcc_ms

2. ewagner

ewagner Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If you join SOMA then try their plans. If you join the AMA they can guide you as well.

Good luck, and budget well!

3. doublelle

doublelle Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi there. Just finished going thru the health insurance thing with my husband. If you are rather healthy, and can tough out most things..(don't run to the ER every time you have a runny nose)..then you probably need something with a medium deductable (1,000-1,500) We have Healthlink PPO..which some don't like those plans..but they work great for us because we hardly ever need it. My husband pays about 58 bucks a month and mine is 63 dollars, WITHOUT the maternity plan. Plus, I just got my appendix taken out..which came to over 8,000 bucks, and we only had to pay the 1,000 deductable. Of course, you can only go to docs that are under the healthlink plan, but that is most docs in my area. Also, be prepared to TOTALLY NOT get what you are promised..we have found this to be true with almost every insurance company we have dealt with. They can change their policies on you over night..but this is just part of the deal I suppose. Search online for some stuff..that is what we are doing. But, like I said, if you don't have any serious health problems, then go for something that you may have to pay out of pocket like if you have a cold or something, but they will cover a major accident or hospitalization. Good luck. Dealing with this stuff is so frustrating. Also, alot of the medical students I talk to have told me what is offered thru the medical school here isn't that great of a deal. So, look around!!! I found some good stuff on the internet. The only drawback to that, is that people call you forever after you make the inquiries.

4. ryanpj

ryanpj Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I got mine through the Golden Key National Honor Society for $50 a month. It is a damned good deal.

5. ankyonline001

student plans are quite cheap comparing to regular plans however you need to get quotes from various brokers and choose best deal for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. meggielou

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I used MegaLife in my year btwn undergrad and med school. Wasn't bad.

7. roc

roc
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    remember that rate varies depending on where you live. That's pretty impressive that you two are insured for around $1400/year. What's the catch? The fact that you pay $1000-$2000 of your own money before it kicks in. What about regular checkup visits?

Something to look in to. When I researching this couple of months back, the best I found was from a major insurer for $2000/year.

I eat healthy and exercise, god forbid, but only time I could see using a hospital is something emergent took place.

Last time I took prescription or OTC drug was in the 9th grade.