Health Insurance in PA/Philadelphia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmrrwr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
PCOM does not offer health insurance and I will no longer be eligible for coverage on my parent's plan. I am funding 100% of my tuition and living expenses through loans and will have $0 income. When I try to sign up for healthcare.gov's obamacare I am told I am ineligible due to $0 income and it refers me to medicaid. It doesn't seem like I am covered there either since I am a single 26 year old. I tried submitting an online inquiry to one of those healthcare search sites and it just resulted in all kinds of calls pressuring me to sign up for crazy sounding plans. I don't know where to start looking for private insurance.

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM does not offer health insurance and I will no longer be eligible for coverage on my parent's plan. I am funding 100% of my tuition and living expenses through loans and will have $0 income. When I try to sign up for healthcare.gov's obamacare I am told I am ineligible due to $0 income and it refers me to medicaid. It doesn't seem like I am covered there either since I am a single 26 year old. I tried submitting an online inquiry to one of those healthcare search sites and it just resulted in all kinds of calls pressuring me to sign up for crazy sounding plans. I don't know where to start looking for private insurance.

http://www.dhs.pa.gov/citizens/healthcaremedicalassistance/
I qualified for Medicaid. You'll have to prove you're a resident. I signed up online a while ago so I dont remember the details. You'll get everything thru mail, but theyre phone support is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I qualified for Medicaid as well. It's a very easy application. I think I did it through the state or city website, and then filled out a form. Then, they sent me some stuff to choose a plan and PCP. Very straight forward and best of all, FREE!

Anyone has any idea about North Carolina? I am going to lose my insurance in March since I will be turning 26 in February. Do I qualify for medicaid in NC with $0 income? Thank you in advance.