Health insurance question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Trek 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I start med school next Fall I will start being covered under a different health insurance plan than I am now on- which is a NY state health insurance plan. My new plan will not be the school's plan but my family's business plan (it is some branch of blue cross/blue shield I am sorry I have not yet been able to find out the specifics.)

Anyways, since this plan is under a business in NY state, will it still be applicable in PA with a decent number of providers who accept it? Or will this depend on the specific BC/BS plan?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr Trek 1 said:
When I start med school next Fall I will start being covered under a different health insurance plan than I am now on- which is a NY state health insurance plan. My new plan will not be the school's plan but my family's business plan (it is some branch of blue cross/blue shield I am sorry I have not yet been able to find out the specifics.)

Anyways, since this plan is under a business in NY state, will it still be applicable in PA with a decent number of providers who accept it? Or will this depend on the specific BC/BS plan?

Thanks.

I think that you are going to have to do some research in the area you are going to (ie contact or research providers in the area you are going to to see if they will take that insurance). Do they have any type of web site listing providers that accepts their plan? My current insurance provider does, which allows me to see who accepts the insurance when I am on the road. I will defer to other posters about the whether it would depend on the specific BC/BS plan as I have no recent experience with this.

Wook

BC/BS is a national provider, for the most part. If you contact them they can point you in the direction of a list of their providers for your particular plan. Sorry we can't really help you!

Blue Cross/Blue Shield is a national organization, but there are individual state or regional branches. For instance I'm a CA resident covered by Blue Cross CA. I went skiing in Utah, hurt my ankle, and went to an urgent care clinic in UT for an x-ray. When I got back I called my insurance office and they said that I was covered, but since I was out of state at the time of the injury, the clinic should bill the *Utah* Blue Cross. This seemed odd to me, and also to the billing person at the clinic when I called them, but it all seemed to work out OK. But the NY BC/BS might not want to cover you if they consider you a resident of PA (not necessarily related to whether your school considers you a resident).

There are a lot of state-to-state commuters in the northeast - people who live in NJ or DE and work in PA, people in NJ or CT that work in NY, etc., and insurance companies expect that. I lived in DE and worked in PA for a while, and my insurance plan had providers in DE. But this is limited to what they consider a normal state-to-state commute distance. There are four regional BC/BS companies in NY state, and not all of them have providers in PA.

So I think you need to do the following:
1. Find out what your family's business' actual insurance company is.
2. Call them and ask if they'll still cover you if you're living in PA, possibly depending on whether
a) they consider you a resident of PA, or
b) they consider you a resident of NY (e.g. if you continue to file NY tax returns and maintain a permanant address in NY).

If they'll cover you, and they have providers in your area of PA, you're golden. If they'll cover you as a NY resident but don't have providers in PA, you might need to designate a primary care provider in NY, and then every time you need medical care in PA you'll be going to an "out of state" provider and probably subject to the hooplah I mentioned above. The BC/BS local to where you live in PA might eventually take exception to that, since they're not getting your premiums.