Health insurance question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mdr1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 26 years old, recently had to quit my full time job (where I had group insurance) to pursue medical school. . . I now have what I believe to be group insurance through my current undergraduate institution. . . problem is, they only offer it over the summer if you're taking more than 3 credits, and I'd planned on doing nothing but studying for and taking the MCAT this summer. If I get gap/short term private insurance over the summer, and then pick up the schools insurance again, will this in any possible way pose 'gap in group insurance' type of problem? Pre-existing problem (i.e. if something happens over the summer)?

My understanding is that things get a little hairy for getting onto group insurance (pre-existing, etc.) if you've had a gap in insurance of greater than 63 days. . . but is this a gap in ANY insurance (meaning, you had no insurance for 63 days), or a gap in GROUP insurance (meaning, you had private individual insurance for 90 days, but since you went without group insurance for 63 days you're in uncertain/potentially problematic territory)? I'm not sure why this answer has been so difficult to find on the internet, you'd think it would be simpler. . . Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Some of these rules vary by state. I had to put my daughter on gap insurance this summer until open enrollment this fall. The gap insurance clearly stated that it not be considered continuing coverage for the purpose of preexisting conditions. i.e. the preexisting clock starts over when you go back on your group. Her gap insurance was through Regence in Washington state. YMMV.

If all you need is 3 credits maybe it would be a nice break from MCAT studying to take some easy A art or music class.

Thanks for the input. . . I hadn't even considered the fact that gap insurance wouldn't be considered continued coverage for group. . . The whole system is so ridiculous. . . anyways. . . I certainly have considered just taking the three credits, but during a summer my understanding is that 3 credits is more like 6. . . not that 6 is a lot, but I'm concerned for how much this may cut into MCAT studying. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Poli Sci 101 and Psych 101 are usually your friend. If you already know the three branches of government and have a basic understanding of the id, ego, and superego, then you're already ahead of class. Profs usually make it difficult to get less than an A-/B+ in these classes.

How do I avoid a 63-day significant break in health coverage?

There are several ways: If a spouse has coverage in a health plan that allows family members to join, you may want to enroll. (See the FAQs on Special Enrollment.)

If your last coverage was in a group health plan, you may want to sign up for COBRA continuation coverage. While you (and your family members, if they were also part of your prior plan) will have to pay for this temporary coverage, COBRA can prevent or reduce a break in coverage. (Learn more about COBRA.)

You can buy an individual health insurance policy if you think you would otherwise have a break of 63 days or more.

Some states have high-risk pools for people who cannot otherwise get health benefits. Your state insurance commissioner's office can tell you if such a pool exists where you live.

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html

I hope that helps! My understanding is that a private policy covers as credible coverage.