Pop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Has anyone applied for Medicare while in Medical School?

C

Critical Mass

My school requires us to prove coverage, but the policy offered by the school sucks.

Medicare? Not likely.

About the Ads

Tired

Fading away
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2006
Has anyone applied for Medicare while in Medical School?

You probably mean Medicaid, unless you're on dialysis or an extreme non-trad.

And no. My understanding is that graduate students don't qualify just because they have no income.

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2002
from the ministry of information
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You probably mean Medicaid, unless you're on dialysis or an extreme non-trad.

And no. My understanding is that graduate students don't qualify just because they have no income.

Some people with kids have medicaid, I think -- at least that's something I've heard here. Without kids, you don't qualify.

Your school will probably offer a policy, and AMSA has one as well.

Biscuit799

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
Status (Visible)
I'm pretty sure grad students don't qualify. Usually your schools plan is the best value, and (at least at my school) you can get one that'll cover your family. In any case it's bound to be better than Medicaid.

blanche

#$%&*[email protected]!!#?
15+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2006
the heart of saturday night
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I'm pretty sure grad students don't qualify. Usually your schools plan is the best value, and (at least at my school) you can get one that'll cover your family. In any case it's bound to be better than Medicaid.

I would look into this before you decide that the one your school provides is the 'best value'. If you go to a school like mine, the health insurance sucks. If you end up needing any significant medical treatment, like surgery or an ED visit you may end up paying a large chunk. I'd look around if there are better options (or if you have a spouse--take their plan)

C

Critical Mass

Some people with kids have medicaid, I think -- at least that's something I've heard here. Without kids, you don't qualify.

Your school will probably offer a policy, and AMSA has one as well.

Yeah she's right on both counts. Oklahoma has something called SoonerCare, the state's Medicaid program, which AFAIK is only for children. Actually their coverage is good enough for some mothers to quit their jobs in an effort to drop family income low enough to qualify for it.

Tired

Fading away
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2006
Yeah she's right on both counts. Oklahoma has something called SoonerCare, the state's Medicaid program, which AFAIK is only for children. Actually their coverage is good enough for some mothers to quit their jobs in an effort to drop family income low enough to qualify for it.

Most states have something similar these days, what with the advent of block grants and the refusal of the federal government to honor its responsibility towards the working poor.

In my state, as I understand it, this will cover the kids just fine. But an adult in college or a graduate program will not be covered unless they are actively pregnant, regardless of whether or not they have kids. I could be wrong, it's been a while since I looked at this. But to date I have never met a student who was on it (not that I'm implying that's a "representative population" or anything like that).

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.