Health Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fushi.tarazu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just graduated and will be going to pharmacy school next year. I'm looking for good alternative to my pharmacy school insurance? Any recommendation? Thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

Bump

C'mon this is a health forum, I thought more people know.

Just a suggestion - look in Topics in Healthcare forum....there is a thread on buying your own health insurance. Not sure if it will help because I haven't read it.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Fushi.tarazu said:
Hi Guys,

I just graduated and will be going to pharmacy school next year. I'm looking for good alternative to my pharmacy school insurance? Any recommendation? Thanks :D

I'd like to know this too, but was also wondering why you didn't want to get your school's insurance. Is it pretty bad? Just wondering cuz I haven't even looked at mine yet.

The price of the insurance at my Pharm School seemed a bit high when I compared it to what I paid at UF. I can get Blue/Cross Blue Shield for about the same amount :( (125 a month :( :( :( ). Being a female during your "fertile" years is sooo expensive. I don't even want kids yet (at least during the next four years!!!).

RachGator said:
The price of the insurance at my Pharm School seemed a bit high when I compared it to what I paid at UF. I can get Blue/Cross Blue Shield for about the same amount :( (125 a month :( :( :( ). Being a female during your "fertile" years is sooo expensive. I don't even want kids yet (at least during the next four years!!!).

Jeez... that's cheap. At my school it costs $2900 for 9 months. I don't think we are even covered for the summer. Even if that does include the summer, it's still twice as much as what you mentioned. Looks like I'll be looking for something else as well.

Chris

It's not that I dont want health insurance from my school, but I'm just seeing if there are better health insurance at a more affordable cost. To me, the school offer a pretty reasonable price.

Cost of Premium: $808 (basic), $922 - ISAC & SMSPP Programs
Deductible: $150 per plan year (one-time deductible)
Maximum benefit for each injury or illness: $25,000
Benefits paid after deductible: 80% for in-network providers; 60% for out-of-network providers
Prescriptions: You must pay for your prescriptions in full at the time of purchase, then submit a claim for reimbursement. Reimbursements are made for full amount of prescriptions, less $20 (generic); $25 (single-source or multi-source name brand).
Dependent coverage: Available at the rate of $1,695.00 for 1 dependent, $2,005.00 for 2 or more dependents

Fushi.tarazu said:
Bump

C'mon this is a health forum, I thought more people know.
There are alternatives to Health and Dental Insurance.
Under a membership program you could get both Dental,Vision,Chiropractic,discount Prescriptions and Medical Discounts for as little as $59.95 per month!
Email me for more info!

Pheonixgroupinc said:
There are alternatives to Health and Dental Insurance.
Under a membership program you could get both Dental,Vision,Chiropractic,discount Prescriptions and Medical Discounts for as little as $59.95 per month!
Email me for more info!

Before signing up for any alternative be sure that you know and can meet your school's equivalency requirements. At my school, Student Select Plans are not accepted for equivalency.

Have any of you tried to get on state medicaid during your school years? Hey, use em if you have to.. most of us young people are pretty healthy anyways. But if you make below an avg amount (that would be us! We're poor college students now!) then you can get on the program. Talk to the people in your schools health dept.

Hope that helps.

Medicaid would be great if all you needed was coverage for your peace of mind, but most (if not all) school require you to have some form of health insurance, but the required coverage is pretty low. I went through Assurant health and got a plan that meets the minimums required by my school for only $50 a month. Its crappy yes, but if I get the sniffles or need a prescription I can go to the student health center or the clinic I volunteer at for free.