• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

yougogirl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
How do pharmacy students take care of their health insurance? If they work a few hours a week (if allowed), will their employers be able to give them health insurance?

ajh88

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
The couple of schools I have looked at actually require you to have full coverage insurance - if you are covered under an employer plan, great. If not, you have to buy their coverage - the one I found pricing for was $1800 a year for the student (includes prescription coverage too). I don't know if all schools are like this though.

phxpharmgirl

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
My school has an insurance plan you can sign up for if you don't have your own insurance. The cost ($2400 a year in my case) is calculated into your budget amount for financial aid and loans.

About the Ads

Dr.Biassi

10+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
The school I got accepted too also have student Health plan included in your cost of attendance and they give you financial aid accordingly. If your school has a medical center the coverage is actually cheaper.

genesis09

15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
In Illinois, all college students are required to have health insurance, and so, the colleges offer it. Since my school has a medical center, it is extremely cheap, $300 per semester, but it is an in house HMO.

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
The bottom of a pile of debt.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Oregon State, USC, LLU, and Western all had insurance available. I'm going to compare to my COBRA for cost since I'll probably have to quit so I can attend regardless of where. COBRA should go up to 18 months if I go that route. Hopefully I'll be able to get some sort of state-sponsored insurance, if not I'd probably go through the school.

lastemp

10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
I believe most schools offer their insurance plan if you don't already have one.

Health insurance through the school should be decent, but if you really want a specific one then you'll have to work/shop around for it.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.