Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Health insurance

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by EMT2ER-DOC, Mar 9, 2007.

1. EMT2ER-DOC

EMT2ER-DOC Why so Serious?????
    Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Has anyone had any experience with the health insurance offered by AMSA, SOMA or any other student organization?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. olliemctuffy

olliemctuffy Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've had the AMSA insurance for 2 years. It's really cheap, so as long as you don't get sick it's a good option. However, the benefits are very stingy and there is a high deductible and a low maximun benefit, so if you were too have something serious happen, you would be pretty screwed. Almost seems better to save the money and not get insurance (it is surprisingly tough to get them to cover even as much as you paid them), or buy more expensive insurance and get better coverage.

In my case, I have to buy insurance and this was cheapest, so I'm rolling the dice hoping nothing happens.

3. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Had AMSA, never had to use it. Had SOMA, used it once. They denied the claim, and it was for OMM. Have my husband's work ins now and have had NO problems getting EVERYTHING paid.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...