Health Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lainey234

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. There is a good chance my husband would have to quit his job if we have to move for school. I was wondering if med schools offer insurance that would cover myself and my family (2kids)? Also, if anyone has gotten coverage that way, are you happy with it?

On a related note. Is it possible to get through med school without your spouse working? It would be great if he could stay home or just work part time so someone would be home with the kids. I'm not sure if we can get enough loans to cover that type of thing though.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Schools do offer family coverage. You should be able to find info about the plan and rates on their website.
It may be tough to get enough loans to cover all of your family's expenses. Even if you could, don't know if you want $400-500k in debt.

Many schools will cover spouse and dependents, but it can be VERY expensive.

Do not take on any more debt than you absolutely have to. It is miserable to be constrained by debt in making your specialty choice and your choice of residency program. However you and your husband have to work it to keep your loans down and your kids happy, do it. But do not start living like a doctor (full-time SAH spouse) until you have the financial resources to support it.

Also, bear in mind that it will not be good for your husband professionally to be out of the workforce for 4 years PLUS residency. He needs to have a life outside too. Women in my class have done it all ways: single mother, SAH partner, SAH partner working part time, both partners working full time with kids in childcare (usually people with additional resources), family doing the child care, etc.

There is a lot of great advice on these forums about balancing school and child care etc.; have a look around. mommd.com is also going to be a good resource for you.