Health Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flake7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, the new health care bill passed will cover 32 million uninsured Americans. My parents are retiring this year, and I will no longer be under their heath insurance. This means I will have to borrow about 2K per year at a 7-8% interest rate to cover this cost. Is there any chance I could be covered under the government? Why can't the rest of the 32 million Americans borrow to cover this cost? I know I am ranting a bit, but I figure that through this bill, I will in the future be covering some of these 32 millions Americans at a discounted rate.

Anyway, Is there anyone else like me who will have to borrow to purchase health insurance, when others are getting it for free? This does not seem right to me, especially due to the fact that we will be the next generation of health care providers.

Any input would be grateful.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh boy. And so it begins.

But yes, I had to take out extra loans to indirectly cover my health insurance. You will probably have to take out extra for other 'unexpected' things that will happen as well. I just took out an extra loan yesterday to pay for my car repairs. And last semester I took one out to help pay for an unexpected $4000+ doctor bill I had to pay half in cash and the rest I am on a monthly payment plan. These things happen.

Most podiatry schools make you get Health insurance, either through the school's insurance option or your own that is equally or better in terms of coverage as the school's. Regardless of the Health care issue that has just passed, you WILL have to get health insurance if you want to attend a Pod school.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can prove a need, there is always the chance of getting put on a state Medicaid plan. There are some single students and several married students in my class who get govt healthcare for free. That's always an option to look into.