Health Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McBatCommander

Loser Looking To Succeed.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm 22. I'm about to actually start full time in school (just now ready). I have Cystic Fibrosis, and as anyone who knows anything about that disease, I rely more than most on medications. Right now I have my parents exceptional health insurance (i pay 20 percent) and should keep that until at least 26. Now let's say that I get into med school or perhaps even some other grad school, how would someone like me manage to survive if I were to lose my parents insurance? Now luckily I'm a healthy cf patient. I've managed to avoid any hospital stays since I was 5 and have only had like, 2 lung infections so far.

My two necessities at this time are some digestive medicines that go for about 4 dollars a pill, 4 pills a meal, 3 meals a day. That's like 50 dollars a day to eat lol. So I got that, plus I'm diabetic and have lantus, etc. The insulin isn't as bad, but it's these damn enzymes.

SO, how would someone like me spend the age of 26-30 in a grad school, and afford these medications? Is it possible? I've heard of student health insurances, but I'm guessing that they are mostly there to cover emergency situations, not routine purchases of overpriced medicines.

Anyone have any idea bout this, or experience? I am starting a little late in the game, so that is going to hurt me a bit, but I can't imagine that I'd be the first with a life long disease that requires good health coverage to go to a grad school.

Members don't see this ad.

Whoa... I really feel for you man. CF sounds brutal. But, you seem to be doing just fine.

As far as cost goes... get yourself a good health insurance plan during your graduate school training. Most med schools have HMO/PPO stuff you can peruse at your leisure. I doubt it would be as awesome as your parents health insurance, but it's better than paying full price.

You may qualify for medicaid, if your income is low enough and your state has exceptions for hard luck cases like yours. Also, with Obama care coming no one knows the real answer to this yet, but there should be a way to make it work.

However, I got to ask, why medicine?

Medicine is one of the few fields that are only worth it, if you look at a long-term payback. Is there anything else you would enjoy doing? I would maximize enjoyment with a disease such as yours, and the 12 year educational process with the last 4 years being compared to indentured servitude is not that maximized. Heck, go become a research scientist and rack up 500k in loans while having a decent lifestyle.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may qualify for medicaid, if your income is low enough and your state has exceptions for hard luck cases like yours. Also, with Obama care coming no one knows the real answer to this yet, but there should be a way to make it work.

Medicine is one of the few fields that are only worth it, if you look at a long-term payback. Is there anything else you would enjoy doing? I would maximize enjoyment with a disease such as yours, and the 12 year educational process with the last 4 years being compared to indentured servitude is not that maximized. Heck, go become a research scientist and rack up 500k in loans while having a decent lifestyle.
Could we be any more cynical/morbid?

Could we be any more cynical/morbid?

I am not being cynical/morbid considering his diagnosis. I am sorry you feel that recommending a better perceived lifestyle in exceptional cases like this, is being cynical/morbid. I will attempt to leave it at that, out of respect for McBatCommander.

Lastly, good luck McBatCommander, do whatever will bring you happiness.

You're not the first person to go to med school with this condition, if it's any comfort. Atul Gawande wrote an essay - in "Better", I think - about the differences between mediocre and really great CF care, and in amongst it mentioned an intern or resident he knew who had the disease.

Anyway, a broader question to all - no matter who you are, however long you expect to live, why would you do anything other than what you truly want to do?

(...Seriously, from the perspective of a mostly-healthy individual... I'm looking at a long process ahead of me and I'm gonna be close to middle-aged at the end of it. If I thought of the process solely as payment for the career afterwards, and not a valuable life experience in itself, I wouldn't even be interested in doing this!)

Right now I'm 22. I'm about to actually start full time in school (just now ready). I have Cystic Fibrosis, and as anyone who knows anything about that disease, I rely more than most on medications. Right now I have my parents exceptional health insurance (i pay 20 percent) and should keep that until at least 26. Now let's say that I get into med school or perhaps even some other grad school, how would someone like me manage to survive if I were to lose my parents insurance? Now luckily I'm a healthy cf patient. I've managed to avoid any hospital stays since I was 5 and have only had like, 2 lung infections so far.

My two necessities at this time are some digestive medicines that go for about 4 dollars a pill, 4 pills a meal, 3 meals a day. That's like 50 dollars a day to eat lol. So I got that, plus I'm diabetic and have lantus, etc. The insulin isn't as bad, but it's these damn enzymes.

SO, how would someone like me spend the age of 26-30 in a grad school, and afford these medications? Is it possible? I've heard of student health insurances, but I'm guessing that they are mostly there to cover emergency situations, not routine purchases of overpriced medicines.

Anyone have any idea bout this, or experience? I am starting a little late in the game, so that is going to hurt me a bit, but I can't imagine that I'd be the first with a life long disease that requires good health coverage to go to a grad school.

While the plans vary from school to school, the one we're offered is actually fairly decent and includes some level of prescription drug coverage, though I didn't look into it enough to see if it was also decent.

Undergrad, Grad, or medical school will offer you health insurance, and you end up paying the same rate as the healthy student without any medical needs or expenses. (there may be conditions such as not paying for pre-existing condition for the first 30 days, etc. Please read the terms)

Once you finish medical school, you can join your residency's health insurance plan (again, since it is employment base, you will pay the same as your fellow resident)

Once you finish your education/training - then you will have to find our own insurance (whether that's through your employer, or purchased independently for yourself)

If you have trouble paying for your meds (or have complicated insurance-related issues since I know cystic fibrosis patients have unique needs compare to other patients), you should consider contacting the CF Foundation where they may assist you or put you in contact with programs that can assist you. I know they work with CF Services Inc, and CFPAF to help pay for some of the expensive medications.

I'm curious too. I've got a chronic condition that requires really expensive medication...wonder how that will work out?

I am not being cynical/morbid considering his diagnosis. I am sorry you feel that recommending a better perceived lifestyle in exceptional cases like this, is being cynical/morbid. I will attempt to leave it at that, out of respect for McBatCommander.

Lastly, good luck McBatCommander, do whatever will bring you happiness.
This is obviously what he wants to do. He should have a discussion with his healthcare provider if the stress of medical school (classroom and rotations) will adversely affect his health and what can be done to help prevent some of the long-term consequences.

I just viewed your post as writing off what he wants to do with his life... what will make him happy. CF, especially in his case, doesn't have to be debilitating. We don't know which genetic variation of the disease he has. But, it appears he is in good management of his disease so far.

With a good support network (family, healthcare, comraderie) he should be just fine. I don't think he's decided to do this on a whim without consideration of the potential complications.

This is obviously what he wants to do. He should have a discussion with his healthcare provider if the stress of medical school (classroom and rotations) will adversely affect his health and what can be done to help prevent some of the long-term consequences.

I just viewed your post as writing off what he wants to do with his life... what will make him happy. CF, especially in his case, doesn't have to be debilitating. We don't know which genetic variation of the disease he has. But, it appears he is in good management of his disease so far.

With a good support network (family, healthcare, comraderie) he should be just fine. I don't think he's decided to do this on a whim without consideration of the potential complications.

I did not read his original post as being indicative of him "obviously" wanting this. In fact, he does not only state medical school, but also graduate school, in general, as being his plans. He is 22 and just now ready/starting college. He did not convey his motives on becoming a physician, or what career he was truly after. I was gut checking him. Anyone should be gut checked; when they say they want to become a physician. However, in his case he has extra reasons to be gut checked. I was operating on the premise that if there was anything else that would make him happy, he should definitely do that as opposed to medicine.

I commend you for your perserverance into a career that will hopefully deliver you quite the satisfaction for which you are looking!

That being said, most if not all medical schools provide some form of health insurance coverage for their students, that is pretty fair/decent. You will probably want to stay on your parents' coverage as long as you can, and then after that expires, you can join your school's insurance program. It will vary from school to school, so you will have to check directly with them. At my school, the coverage is generally 80/20 for most things, so it's industry-standard. Some employer plans will cover about that, or more--depends on what you have.

Good luck!

Anyway, a broader question to all - no matter who you are, however long you expect to live, why would you do anything other than what you truly want to do?

(...Seriously, from the perspective of a mostly-healthy individual... I'm looking at a long process ahead of me and I'm gonna be close to middle-aged at the end of it. If I thought of the process solely as payment for the career afterwards, and not a valuable life experience in itself, I wouldn't even be interested in doing this!)

Most people do not have a support system in place that permits the ability to freely seek what they enjoy. Also some people have responsibilities that dictate they remain in a field/career where they are unhappy. Look at how many doctors say they wish they could do something else, but must continue practicing because of the student loans and other debt incurred pursuing their degree.

Lastly, just because one thing is unappealing does not mean the entire process is undesirable. Overall, I am very excited about (hopefully)becoming a physician. However, residency is not something I am truly looking forward to. It might end up being great, but the pay and hours will suck compared to what I am used to.

I did not read his original post as being indicative of him "obviously" wanting this. In fact, he does not only state medical school, but also graduate school, in general, as being his plans. He is 22 and just now ready/starting college. He did not convey his motives on becoming a physician, or what career he was truly after. I was gut checking him. Anyone should be gut checked; when they say they want to become a physician. However, in his case he has extra reasons to be gut checked. I was operating on the premise that if there was anything else that would make him happy, he should definitely do that as opposed to medicine.

I'm glad that you've taken it upon yourself to be the gut checker.

This question can be asked to yourself as well. At the rate I've been going, as long as I do what I can for my health, I don't see any reason to believe that I'll spend my 30's in a hospital bed. No one would ever know I had CF. People are amazed at how healthy I am when they find out. Sure, my odds of an early death are statistically higher than most, but I would rather spend that lesser amount of time with direction, achievement, and doing what makes me happy, than taking it easy. We're all risks takers with interests of taking on a profession such as this. Why should I re frame just because my risks are a bit bigger?

Has the axiom of, "enjoy the journey, not the destination" ever occurred to you?

This question can be asked to yourself as well. At the rate I've been going, as long as I do what I can for my health, I don't see any reason to believe that I'll spend my 30's in a hospital bed. No one would ever know I had CF. People are amazed at how healthy I am when they find out. Sure, my odds of an early death are statistically higher than most, but I would rather spend that lesser amount of time with direction, achievement, and doing what makes me happy, than taking it easy. We're all risks takers with interests of taking on a profession such as this. Why should I re frame just because my risks are a bit bigger?

You shouldn't if this is what you want. I did not mean to offend. Your post was not that clear on what you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck on this journey.