Health Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rxx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was accepted to a pharmacy school that requires their students to provide a proof of continued health insurance. They offer one (in case you don't have your own) for about 1,355 a year which seem a lot to me. I don't have insurance, I am young and healthy, so it's cheaper for me to pay out of pocket because I only visit a doctor once a year for a check up. So could somebody explain why do they have this requirement? I am just thinking to get the cheapest one I can possibly find just to show them that I have it. What do you think about it, what kind of insurance you have?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I was accepted to a pharmacy school that requires their students to provide a proof of continued health insurance. They offer one (in case you don't have your own) for about 1,355 a year which seem a lot to me. I don't have insurance, I am young and healthy, so it's cheaper for me to pay out of pocket because I only visit a doctor once a year for a check up. So could somebody explain why do they have this requirement? I am just thinking to get the cheapest one I can possibly find just to show them that I have it. What do you think about it, what kind of insurance you have?

That's really not that much for insurance for an entire year. You probably need to make sure that whatever insurance you find meets the same minimum requirements as your school's insurance. Usually they require a certain level of coverage. There are a few reasons they require this. Some altruistic reasons include lower emergency costs in the community and a healthy student body. Some less altruistic reasons include bringing in more insurance reimbursements to the student health center. Just be sure to do what your school requires so you don't end up spending more that necessary.

Sorry, let me correct myself, $1,355 that's for new, incoming students for spring/summer term... My school is a 3 year program that starts in summer. And annual premium is $2,315 that will be charged to the fall semester student tuition unless proof of other comparable coverage is provided. That seems ridiculous to pay 13 hundred just for two months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, let me correct myself, $1,355 that's for new, incoming students for spring/summer term... My school is a 3 year program that starts in summer. And annual premium is $2,315 that will be charged to the fall semester student tuition unless proof of other comparable coverage is provided. That seems ridiculous to pay 13 hundred just for two months.

Ah, haha, yeah, that's a bit much. I would look into getting coverage elsewhere. Just make sure it is comparable and is acceptable to your school! Sounds like you know what you're doing.

Keep in mind: everybody now sick or unwell was once healthy until they became sick and/or injured. That's why the school requires insurance. The hope is that you don't need it. My school has a required insurance policy. It's expensive, but has great coverage should you have something happen where you actually need it.

Keep in mind: everybody now sick or unwell was once healthy until they became sick and/or injured. That's why the school requires insurance. The hope is that you don't need it. My school has a required insurance policy. It's expensive, but has great coverage should you have something happen where you actually need it.

"everybody now sick or unwell was once healthy until they became sick" What do you mean, everybody is sick now, is there some kind of epidemic disease that I wasn't aware of???... Let's say, even if I get sick, it is still cheaper to pay $200-$300 for a visit and some generic drug prescription, rather than to spend almost $2,400 annually plus deductible. Sure, we won't stay young and healthy forever, but believe it or not, for the past 7 years I have been totally fine without it. And yes, it is nice to have it, if you can afford it or obtain it through your job, parents or a spouse. However, if you are going to take a loan to pay for school, that would be additional $7,200 ( I am talking about 3 year program here) just for the insurance plus interest rate. And that's for something that I would be barely using. You know yourself better, if you can easily afford it or you get sick all the time than sure enough, get it. But to pay that much $$$ just to calm yourself down because you are too stressed thinking every day that something serious can happen isn't an option for me. I am just gonna go with a cheapest one just to fulfill a requirement.

Let's just say I've known people who were in drastic accidents and their lives changed very quickly. I've also known healthy young people who unexpectedly got cancer. (Guess how much money these types of incidents cost! It's usually over $100,000, minimum)

It's awesome to pretend like that will never happen to you, but sometimes your number gets called when you really think there's no way it could happen to you. But you're welcome to do whatever you like...it's your life.

Also, it may help if you would read comments carefully before responding.

Last edited:
Regarding " read comments carefully before responding" my main questions were why pharmacy schools require us to have a health insurance which was answered by y0ssarian87; and what insurance other students have or going to get, and NOT whether to have it or not. And also you probably missed my statement above that it is nice to have a health insurance if you can AFFORD it.

Regarding " read comments carefully before responding" my main questions were why pharmacy schools require us to have a health insurance which was answered by y0ssarian87; and what insurance other students have or going to get, and NOT whether to have it or not. And also you probably missed my statement above that it is nice to have a health insurance if you can AFFORD it.

Radio frequency is right. Plus you misinterpreted his/her initial comment.

Most colleges and universities require their full-time students to have health insurance. I would be surprised if any pharmacy didn't require it. However, you can usually get your own cheaper insurance. With the way you seem to view health insurance, then choose one with the cheapest monthly rate, which would mean a huge deductible ($5000+).