Health Management/Administration (MHSA, MHA, MBA, MPH...) Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zongus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello future health care exectives,

For those of you applying to programs in health management especifically:

1. Where are all of you applying?
  2. What responses have you had?
  3. What decisions have you made (or are thinking about making)?
  4. What career plans do you have?
  5. Any of you interested in an MD?
In my case:
  1. I am applied to Dartmouth, Cornell (Human Ecology college), Columbia, Pittsburgh, George Washington, Boston U, U of Illinois-Chicago (UIC), U of Michigan (U-M), U of Puerto Rico, Tufts, Yale, and Johns Hopkins.
  2. Admitted: U-M, UIC, Cornell...for now; Rejected: Yale, Hopkins (though I am waiting for their EPID program);
  3. Debating between U-M and Cornell. Still waiting for the rest except I am withdrawing my application from GW and UPR because of secondary applications and fees.
  4. I hope to go into hospital/clinic management or health care consulting.
  5. Always been interested in continuing with an MD once I am done with my master's. Hopefully, Harvard will give the opportunity for an MD/MBA in the future!
NOTE: Please, feel free to contact me for any questions or comments.

I hope people elaborate more on these questions and share with us their personal experiences. Enjoy and good luck!!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

1. I applied to: UMich, London School (LSHTM), UIC, UArizona, Boston U
2. Admitted to all
3. Decided on UMich
4. Healthcare Policymaking
5. I did at one point, but am going for a JD after my MPH

1 - I applied for the master's of healthcare administration at University of washington, Minnesota, pittsburgh, GWU, oklahoma, ohio state, indiana university, and finishing app. for Washington state university.....

2 - I got accepted to Indiana University a couple of days ago (what i like about this place is that there's everything to assist with healthcare administration b/c Indiana U has a medical school, which is the 2nd largest in the country, and has health informatics along with the Regenstrief Institute (which contains the largest electronic medical records systems in the world)...I feel excited about this place IU for some reason :)

University of washington rejected me saying they didn't know where I was going in my essays (i thought that was a lame excuse b/c my essays were damn good) an drejected by Ohio state...; i applied to ohio state b/c i heard their program is really good BUT i'm not disappointed with being rejected b/c ohio state doesn't have the health administration collaboration with health informatics that i was looking for

3 - Indiana University -- I feel really good about this place and excited; it's like my intuition tells me that this place could be alot better than what I think; I heard indianapolis's cost of living isn't as bad as other major cities adn that it's a nice town with alot of healthcare/medical research going on; I was pretty upset about UW - Seattle rejecting me b/c that's where I really wanted to go but i heard that the cost of living in Seattle is pretty pricey..

Waiting on Pittsburgh, GWU, and oklahoma (these places are good but these places may not have that healthcare informatics collabo that i'm looking for)...Something tells me that Indiana University may be a great opportunity; even though this is the only school that has accepted me thus far, I think I will accept this offer even if the other schools accept me

4) Well, I'm a pretty diverse and versatile person; I like dealing with health services administration, health informatics, and public health....I have an intersest in information systems, research, and consulting

5) I'm not interested in becoming a MD; I do know that alot of MD's are applying to and getting accepted for graduate school in healthcare administration AND healthcare informatics

Members don't see this ad :)
rejected by Ohio state...; i applied to ohio state b/c i heard their program is really good BUT i'm not disappointed with being rejected b/c ohio state doesn't have the health administration collaboration with health informatics that i was looking for

Add to your 'reasons for not being disappointed at ohio state rejection':
1. Their basketball team is property of the Florida Gators
2. Their football team is property of the Florida Gators

:laugh: ;)
Chomp Chomp Chomp

Don't hate on Ohio State they'll make their comeback next year!!! ~~~:D

1. Applied to an MPH at BU, Columbia, GWU, OSU, Yale and an MSc at LSE, and an MSc at Oxford University. As a serious Ohio State fan I didn't think I could live in Michigan so I never did apply to U of M.
2. Admitted- Boston University - Global Health, Columbia University-Health Policy and Management/Global Health. Still waiting on others but rejected by Yale.
3. Probably going to attend Columbia because of the location in NYC and opportunities
4. Very interested in International Health Policy, and also very interested in implementing health initiatives and programs in developing countries. Also interested in human rights/health.
5. Always wanted an MD but now thinking I might possibly go for a JD. Health Policy and Management rocks btw!!

I have gotten all my MPH apps in and am waiting on one LOR for my b school apps to go before committee.

1. Applied to Boston U, Emory, Yale, Columbia. Columbia being top choice.
2. In at BU, Emory, Yale SPH. Interviewed at BU business and pretty certain I'm in there.
3. Nowhere so far, fingers crossed.
4. I've been doing Health IT consulting around EMR systems for the past 2 years and am fairly certain I want to continue down the consulting path post school, but with a strategy focus. Afterward I would look to jump to industry and work for a large hospital/provider network as an exec.
5. Not at all an MD.

My experience working with doctors, nurses and managers via my EMR work has shown me the disconnect between clinical and financial management. Lots of doctors can say "we should be doing X" from a clinical standpoint but dont A) have the data to drive the process change associated with X and B) don't know how X is going to effect their bottom line. And while I think it would be great if everyone was an MD/MPH/MBA tri-degree, I think I'd be better off doing my two and letting the MD do the rest.

1. I applied to: UMich, London School (LSHTM), UIC, UArizona, Boston U
2. Admitted to all
3. Decided on UMich
4. Healthcare Policymaking
5. I did at one point, but am going for a JD after my MPH

ARE YOU an MD as well?/?/? what specialty.

Hi,
can someone pl help me.
i ve taken my gre test, score s 1140(quant=670+ verbal=470).ad i am holding a cgpa of 3.7/4.0 ,a fresher,just out from biomedical engineering.
i m most interested in tis program, ad i wanted to enroll into one with aid.will tis gre score get me thro without any work experience? i ve done internship at hospitals..!!
if tis gre score is nt enough,to enter the top 30 universities wid scholarship, i m plannin to take it again.

i m looking forward for some sort of guidance...!! pl.

Hi,

Michigan is my top choice for my MPH in Health Management. If you could (to help with my application process) tell me a little about your background and experience? GPA and GRE scores would be great also, if that's not asking too much. Thanks for your previous information!