1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Health Policy opportunities

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by nkg123, Sep 19, 2001.

1. nkg123

nkg123 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hello everyone. I wanted to ask a question to you all. I wanted to know more about what kinds of opportunities there are in health policy and what opportunities there are for doctors. If there is anyone out there with health policy experience (i.e. working in Washington, or for a nonprofit, or even for-profit corporation), I would love to hear about your experience. In addition, I would like to hear from anyone out there who has also gotten an M.P.P. (Master of Public Policy degree) as well. I appreciate any input and advice. Thanks in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. familydoc04

familydoc04 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have an MPP in health policy that I finished long before I started med school. I might be able to help, but only with some more specific questions - I am not sure what you want to know.

4. nkg123

nkg123 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

thanks for replying...

I'd like to know where you did your MPP. In addition, I am thinking of doing and MD-MPP, and was wondering what kinds of positions I will be able to get after I do that. I am interested in developing health policy, working on Capitol Hill or somewhere in the government in this effort. Anyways, if you have any more information about this, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

5. vhl

vhl Member
    10+ Year Member

I haven't done a lot of work with health policy, but I have an MPH and have worked with people who are involved in health policy. Many of the major organizations (AMA, American Academy of Pediatrics, etc) have policy committees that probably have websites. There are a whole bunch of non-profits in DC that would hire MDs, or MD/MPP/MPH/Ph.Ds. AMSA does a lot with health policy-that might be a good place for you to start (www.amsa.org).

I have the sense that it is a wide open field-good luck!

6. KG

KG Member
    10+ Year Member

Kwilson, what types of research do people do for an MPH? I am particular interested in studying the chemical toxin link to pediatric brain tumors. Would something along that line be a possibilty? What about lab research? I haven't been able to find out specifics yet, but if I can pursue my interests, I'm seriously considering applying to an MD/MPH program.

Thanks

7. vhl

vhl Member
    10+ Year Member

KG: Your topic would fit within an MPH program, especially one with an emphasis on epidemiology (or a specific masters in epi). Not a whole lot of lab research, though, as far as I've seen. I think you need a basic science degree to go that route. Check out the websites of some of the programs-it should give you a good idea of what types of studies are being done.

8. vhl

vhl Member
    10+ Year Member

KG: Your topic would fit within an MPH program, especially one with an emphasis on epidemiology (or a specific masters in epi). Not a whole lot of lab research, though, as far as I've seen. I think you need a basic science degree to go that route. Check out the websites of some of the programs-it should give you a good idea of what types of studies are being done.