1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Health Professions Scholarship for Clinical Psychology

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by Army Captain, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Army Captain

Army Captain Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

I am the Army Health Professions Scholarship representative for Philadelphia, PA. Have you considered the Health Professions Scholarship (HPSP)? The HPSP provides FULL tuition, books, related educational expenses, and a generous stipend of all $16,000 per year for those students who are selected to receive the scholarship. If you need additional information, please do not hesitate to schedule a meeting with me to discuss the opportunity that is available to you. Last year, I had two students apply for the scholarship and both were selected to receive the scholarship. I could also refer you to them, if you have additional questions.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 50960

50960 Guest

I am sorry you got no support here. Perhaps if you joined in on some conversations for awhile people would feel more comfortable responding. I personally feel more people should consider what you are offering in service to our country, but I respect other opinions.

MOD ;)

4. jhymn

jhymn Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Just to let you know - I immediately PM'ed this person after reading the previous message and I haven't gotten a response yet. That was last week.

My question:

I understand that the commitment is 3 years in the reserves and then 3 years as a commissioned officer. I have spoken to a friend who is an ex Ranger and he was telling me about "staging areas" versus combat zones. It was his impression that as an active commissioned officer that an Army Psychologist would not see or be placed in a combat zone, but instead, a staging area. He further stated that when officers are placed in combat zone staging areas, that an assignment lasts 1 year maximum. I read in one of your FAQ's that as an intern, psychologists in the AMEDD program choose in descending order their prefences for active duty assignments, but those assignments last a minimum of 3 years. How would that work if a person's first assignment placed them in a hot zone like Afghanistan, Iraq, or Korea?

Thank you for any and all assistance.
    :)

5. deuist

deuist Stealthfully Sarcastic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm pretty sure that the OP's post counts as spam, but I'll try to answer your questions. I'm in medical school under the Air Force's HPSP scholarship and might be able to offer some assistance.

Your friend is correct about the combat zones. Psychologists are non-combatants under the Geneva convention and are kept away from the fighting. When I went through training, I had several psychologists in my group. None of us were even trained how to fire a gun, although I'm sure that they eventually got out to the range.

Deployments are a hairy issue and differ based on branch. Army typically deploys for about 1 year, Navy does 7-8 months, and Air Force is 4 months and more predictable.

Your duty assignment station---you place you spend three years---is not the same as a deployment. For example, if you are stationed at Brooke Army Medical Center in Texas, you'll be there for three years before getting sent to your next location. If you are then deployed to Iraq, you may spend up to a year in the sandbox, but will return to Brooke once the deployment is over.

There is a military medical forum on SDN. Lots of current and former officers can answer any subsequent questions you may have. All of them are medical; I don't know of anyone in psych.

6. 50960

50960 Guest

Yes but in the Army they are all in the "Medical Corps", MDs, PhD's etc.. the same rules apply. I did not see this as spam because SDN has allowed the army to advertise on the site.

7. 50960

50960 Guest

Yes but in the Army they are all in the "Medical Corps", MDs, PhD's etc.. the same rules apply. I did not see this as spam because SDN has allowed the army to advertise on the site.

8. 50960

50960 Guest