Health Professions Scholarship Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vinoyp

3K Member
Removed
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I did a search for this and found some related threads, but none that sufficiently answered some questions I had regarding the Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship.

I am considering applying for a 3 year Scholarship. I would love to serve in one of the branches, and the money is great as well at least in the short term.

I was wondering if it is difficult to specialize? Is your service obligation extended if you choose to specialize? How easy is it to pursue a residency in a civilian institution rather than a military one? If you choose to specialize, does your active duty reuirement follow the end of your post graduate education, or do you have to interrupt your post graduate education to serve? Are there great opportunities for service abroad, or do they mostly station you at a US military hospital (I'm considering Navy based on my talks with a retired naval officer)? Also, with the Navy or Air Force, will you get flight training provided you meet the physical qualifications? Finally, after leaving the military, how attractive a candidate (compared to those who did not serve) are you when applying for positions at civilian hospitals or practices?

I know these are a lot of questions, and I would appreciate any help. Note, I do not know for sure if I want to specialize, or even serve in the Navy. I just want to know what my options are and how much my options will be limited.

Thank you,

--Vinoy

Members don't see this ad.

http://lukeballard.tripod.com/HPSP.html

Read that, and feel free to contact me by pm or email. I've joined the Army for a 4 year scholarship.

Oh yeah, Navy makes you go on active duty after your internship year for a few years. You pay off your committment, but you will have to play doctor with only one year of training. You will have to reapply for a residency when you come back.

To make a long story short, apply to the Army or the Air Force.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Army produces about three times more physicians than the Air Force and Navy. The Army has very large hospitals across the country(Walter Reed,Brooks, Tripler, Madigan, Eisenhower) so the possibility of specializing is greater. Another thing to consider is that the Army and Air Force no longer use GMO, General Medical Officers, so you don't have to worry about being pulled out of a residency to go serve for a few years. :p :p

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by s42brown
One thing to keep in mind is that the Army produces about three times more physicians than the Air Force and Navy. The Army has very large hospitals across the country(Walter Reed,Brooks, Tripler, Madigan, Eisenhower) so the possibility of specializing is greater. Another thing to consider is that the Army and Air Force no longer use GMO, General Medical Officers, so you don't have to worry about being pulled out of a residency to go serve for a few years. :p :p

Btw, for the OP: Tripler = Hawaii = Good++:)

Thanks a lot idq1i and s42brown, for the link and the posts. It's a huge help!

--Vinoy

also think about where you want to be stationed. i want to live near the water so i'll probably do navy, even if i do the GMO tour. the GMO tour will be what you make of it. i've heard from people who did it as a flight surgeon and still remember it as some of the best years of their medical education. anyway, i don't want to be stationed in West of Nowhere Army Base...which is possible. not so many nowhere bases for navy ;)

You mean that since I'm in the army I can't live by the water, damn i need to get out of my contract. j/j The army does have bases all over, but if you go into a specialty your chances of being stationed at fort podunk are not very high. Hey atleast you don't have to be worried about being stationed in Alaska with the Air Force.:D

*points at the AF* :D

seriously tho, the differences between the services aren't super substantial. you'll be getting the same $, the same schooling. the difference is gunna be what will get you what you want (location, specialty, different color uniform...) ;)

this has nothing to do with anything ....

but i noticed the website posted said luke ballard...when i was in High School my principals name was mr. ballard and one of his sons names was luke....small world :)

i think you have to be in the military for 7 years after med school...that is a huge financial hit, since they only pay you like 45 or 50k.

Originally posted by judoka
i think you have to be in the military for 7 years after med school...that is a huge financial hit, since they only pay you like 45 or 50k.

You think wrong. It's not 45, and it's not 7.

You get roughly 55 a year IF you do a military residency. You will owe 4 years unless you do a 5+year residency with the military.
Plus, there is a decent chance that you can get a deferral into a civilian match. In this case, your debt will be 4 years.

So, you think 45 is a big finacial hit? Go look up what an average PGY-1 makes. I think you are in for a shocker.