Health Promotion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chameleonchick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would I be able to get a Public Health position with a Health Promotion degree or should I just go for the MPH. I know I don't want to work directly for the government right away, but I will eventually. I really want to work with the community first. My school's MS Health Promotion program is a lot like most Community and Behavioral Health MPH programs.
If you're going to be making a significant investment in a Masters degree and that is the only degree you will ever get, then I would recommend going with the MPH, especially since the curricula are similar for both degrees. I personally consider it a better terminal degree than just a MS; some people may also consider it more marketable than an MS degree. It's not to say that an MS degree won't let you get your dream jobs, but it may be harder depending on what your employers are looking for. What matters most is developing the skill set for the jobs you're interested in, but when a Masters is all you're doing, I would favor the MPH. Just my 2 cents.