Health Psychology- Non traditional Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarshmallowsNOM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am trying to gather more information and opinions about some atypical/ nontraditional Health psych programs, specifically:

University of Florida- Clinical/ Health Psych combined with Masters in Public Health (MPH)

Ohio University- NON-clinical PhD in Health Psych (I didn't realize there were any non clinical health psych programs until very recently)

University of Pittsburgh- It looks like you have the options to apply to: just Clinical Psych; Clinical Health; or Biological and Health (non-clinical) programs. (This is a bit overwhelming because there are so many similarities and overlaps between the three so it is hard to decipher which program would be best for me)

University of Alabama, Birmingham- They call it Clinical/ Medical Psychology and also have an option to do a joint MPH program

Does anyone have any information about any of these programs as a student or another potential applicant like me? I applied last year to just purely clinical psychology programs, but my main interest is research which is why I am interested in the non-clinical programs. I also like the seemingly interdisciplinary approach to research that these programs might offer. I like the idea of being able to encompass public health, psychology, health, biosocial, and other perspectives in my future research. However since these programs are all different and unique, I am just having a hard time wrapping my head around it all so any info or opinions on these would be super helpful!

Thanks!!

If anyone happens to be intersted or want to know more info about me, personally to help answer my question, I posted in WAMC here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=686573&page=14

Members don't see this ad.

What about U Mass Med School? They have a PhD in Clinical and Health Population Research. Not sure exactly what your long term goals are, but this is a research based degree vs. clinical training.

I've been looking into this program and have been conversing with the Dean to determine if this is a suitable program for someone with a Psych background. I'd be willing to share the emails if this is a progam of interest for you.

Good luck with your search!!

www.umassmed.edu -->> Education -->> Grad School of Biomedical Sciences -->> Future Students -->> Academic Programs -->> PhD Programs -->> Clinical and Health Population Research

What about U Mass Med School? They have a PhD in Clinical and Health Population Research. Not sure exactly what your long term goals are, but this is a research based degree vs. clinical training.

I've been looking into this program and have been conversing with the Dean to determine if this is a suitable program for someone with a Psych background. I'd be willing to share the emails if this is a progam of interest for you.

Good luck with your search!!
www.umassmed.edu -->> Education -->> Grad School of Biomedical Sciences -->> Future Students -->> Academic Programs -->> PhD Programs -->> Clinical and Health Population Research

Thanks for the info! This program was on my list to check out but I hadn't looked at it yet. This looks like a really interesting program and I really liked thier "research rotations". My long term goals are mainly to be most active in mental health research but I am also interested in teaching. It looks like they have a lot of research going on that is relevant to mental health and health psych. I'm wondering what your interests are and what draws you to this program? Also, do you have a masters degree? Based on the website you don't neccesarily NEED to have a masters, right?

I only have a BA, but I have been working in clinical research for the past 4 yrs working in a psychiatry dept. which I imagine might be benficial for this type of program since it is more on the medical side of psychology and mental health research. What do you think?