Health Questions on EM Residency Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who has a chronic but currently controlled health issue that could possibly cause some scheduling snafus if it flares up during residency. The question is if there is one of those sections in the res apps about "do you have any conditions that could affect your ability to do your job?" Also is this something that my friend should bring up during interviews? Is it a legal question for interviewers to ask? I can't remember some of the ins and outs of this stuff and I sure don't recall what was on the app.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend who has a chronic but currently controlled health issue that could possibly cause some scheduling snafus if it flares up during residency. The question is if there is one of those sections in the res apps about "do you have any conditions that could affect your ability to do your job?" Also is this something that my friend should bring up during interviews? Is it a legal question for interviewers to ask? I can't remember some of the ins and outs of this stuff and I sure don't recall what was on the app.

I will double check fo ryou, but I am pretty sure there is a question similar to this. If so, your friend needs to answer it honestly. The ERAS application and match represents a legally binding document. She needs to be honest. This is a legally viable question. Hiding it will only hurt your friend.

As an aside (and yet probably the most important), your friend does NOT want to end up at a program that will not support her. Most programs will work around these issues but she must declare them. She doesn't need to bring it up on each interview. However, she should answer the question honestly. If the PD needs more info, they will ask.

The question is getting at wording from the American's with Disabilities Act. The candidate must be "capable, with or without accommodation, of performing the essential functions of the job".

It is legal to ask this question, you just have to be very careful about how you ask it. If you are capable do doing the essential job functions but require an accommodation to do it, the employer most likely will be required to provide it (with some restrictions based on the size of the employer).

I had to struggle through the ADA when it came out. I used to teach EMS folks about it but it has probably changed alot since then.

Take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
I think someone with IBD or IBS made a post that was similar to this not too long ago.