Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

health requirement question of dental school

Discussion in 'Dental' started by denny, Jun 21, 2002.

1. denny

denny New Member

My friend will move to NY.She was a dentist in other country before .And now she has passed Nation dental board exam part I.She want to go to NYU dental school for advance standing program,but she
    got HBsAg(+)and her liver function is normal.She
    is wonder if her health condition will influence
    the admission of NYU dental school or to be a dentist in NY state? If so,how can she do?I wish somebody can answer me the question.
    thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Toothfairy

Toothfairy Member

I'm a med tech undergrad. student right now and have learned much info on Hep B in the past few years. I hope this info can help, but I cannot guarantee everything stated. Hep B can be an acute or chronic disease. As a chronic carrier of Hep B, she would continuously shed the virus, which could possibly be spread to a patient. Since she has just been diagnosed with Hep B, I'm sure she will have to be continuously monitored for many months on the status of her infection. There are several diagnostic markers, which will determine her disease state. If she has an acute infection, she will develop immunity to Hep B, and I believe that she would not be capable of spreading the virus, once recovered. However, I'm not sure if she would be able to practice in the US. I hoped this can lead your friend and you to find out more about her condition. :)