Health Resources & Services Administration - Loans/Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do Ray

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was browsing the loans/scholarships on this page: School-Based Scholarships and Loans | Bureau of Health Workforce

I think I would qualify for these programs, coming from a low-income background:
- Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students (SDS Program)
- Loans for Disadvantaged Students (LDS Program)
- Health Professions Student Loans (HPSL)

And the dental school I'm planning to attend participates in all three programs.
My question is:
1. Does anyone know about how to apply for these loans? Do I reach out to my dental school and inquire on my eligibility for these loans? Or do I just automatically get considered after I complete the FAFSA (when should I finish that btw?)
2. Does anyone know the pros/cons of these 3 loans? I remember reading there's either low interest rates, or that there's no accruing of interest with these loans.
3. What's the difference between utilizing these loans and Grad Plus Loans?

Thank you everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

1. I believe you are considered based on your FAFSA. Your EFC has to be 0 or close. I would still reach out to the school to make sure
2. The pros they have low interest and some have no interest during dental school. Cons: Some have limits but I don't think it's too low of a limit
3. Same as #2. If you get these loans, you max these out first before dipping into your Grad Plus loan. The Grad Plus loans has no lifetime limit and the school will give you more if you ask for more provided you have a good reason or they just don't care since it is your debt lol

Reactions: 1 users